This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OHR incorrect on the widget when doing indoor Bike

Hi, 

I don't know if this was something that garmin know, but i think that's a BUG. 

Yesterday i was zwifting, using a Scosche Rhythm+, on my right pulse connected to the PC as i always do. On my left arm, i had the Garmin 945, without recording the activity, but showing the HR widget.

On the Zwift i was doing about 120HR, the watch on the widget show about 80...

When i start recording the activity on the watch (using the OHR, the Scosche Rhythm+ was not paired to the watch), the watch HR start reading correctly and showing values on par with the Schoshe. 

Why is this happening, what is the difference on the watch OHR, from outside activity to inside, that don't allow a correct reading when not recording an activity?

Former Member is this a know bug? Is there something i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

• Not sure if it's a bug or by design but I see the same discrepancy when cycling while not recording an activity. Watch WHR is always much lower than the chest HR recorded on the Edge.

• I've experienced the same since 2.7 (I think) - see my original thread here:

forums.garmin.com/.../broadcast-hr-all-over-the-place

I don't buy the "Optical HR is inherently inaccurate so get over it" argument because the measurements are so massively out of range, so I do think this is an issue that hasn't been addressed. I've recently given up with the 945 broadcast function and started using a chest strap.

I thought it might be to do with the MoveIQ function but I've tried turning that off and haven't seen any improvement. I'd love to hear from anyone who has solved this.

• I think it's a bug when broadcasting HR. Doing any activity where the 945 is recording the activity, my heart rate shows I'm working hard Slight smile

If I broadcast my HR from the 945 to my Edge 1000, the HR barely rises above 120 bpm where it would normally be around 150

• It's not specific from the broadcasting. I'm having this issue simply looking at the HR widget. I think it's probably something to do with the HR reading in 24/7 (broadcasting or in the widget) not reading with the same accuracy as during the activity

• I agree - it’s clear just from watching the widget that HR is miles out unless an activity is being recorded.

I tested this morning, recording an ‘Indoor cycle’ on the 945 and on Zwift via a chest strap; after the usual initial wobbly ‘settling down’ period the measurements matched almost exactly. I‘ll post links to the activities later, but this is definitely a bug, and it undermines confidence in the accuracy of the all-day HR monitoring.

• Had the same. Whr is ok when activity is recorded and it's way off (like 70-85 whereas real is 130-140) when broadcasting. Is anyone created a ticket for this ? Pretty discouraging when on the trainer. Hope the garmin is working on fix for this.

• Activitiy logs here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4250598730

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4250465344

Note these are the same activity - the 'Indoor cycle' activity takes HR from the 945, the Zwift activity is recording using a Wattbike chest strap to record HR.

I opened a ticket ages ago when I first noticed this (and have since seen a few other references to the issue popping up as others also realise there is a genuine problem and post about it) but it has, unsurprisingly gone very quiet (last contact 12th September and nothing since my response)...

• I’ve had the same experience since 2.64 beta and in 3.30 this is still very much present. During day-to-day cycling outside activity WHR stays around 85, and then immediately jumps to around 140 when starting an activity (I use spinning as it doesn’t require the gps). I have created a ticket for this problem, but months later their technicians are still looking into it and nothing has happened/changed. It is clearly a software bug and I think it has to do with battery management. People are just too focused on their FR945 using 0.xx% battery per hour, that the accuracy is suffering I think. It’s just crazy to think my years old Fitbit Charge2 is more accurate in tracking HR outside activity than my top of the line Garmin (that supposedly has 1-sec interval HR tracking) in 2019. It’s really a mess.

• You're quite right and I agree it feels like a power management issue - what's the point of squeezing a few more hours out of the battery if the HR sensor doesn't work anything like accurately 90% of the time?

All day HR tracking is supposed to be a feature of this expensive gadget, and all of the fitness measurement, analysis and reporting is totally undermined by this.

Hopefully it'll be fixed at some point as more people report what is a genuine issue but I'm not going to hold my breath...

• I posted some messages in relation to this problem, but Garmin ignore it.