This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the button issue resolved now?

After receiving a 945 a couple of months ago and seeing reports here of buttons not clicking that the up and down buttons on mine were quite squishy.

i didn't see much point exchanging at the time as replacements looked to be the same or worse.

Wondering at this stage if the issue has been fixed 100% or is it still current on new ones as otherwise this one is working ok.

For me the down button clicks if left a couple of seconds between pushes while the up button never clicks.

i'd like to know I'm getting one that's better before swapping otherwise it's not worth the inconvenience. 

I'm in Australia if that makes any difference to the batches being sent out. 

• UK Customer Services told me this morning they would do the credit card swap on an RMA only in "exceptional circumstances" and apparently I don't qualify - presumably another manifestation of the "depends who you speak to" syndrome that seems to be a particular feature of dealing with Garmin.

• presumably another manifestation of the "depends who you speak to" syndrome

The inconsistency is the consistency. Unbelievable.

Still got no answer if it is really worth trying to exchange the watch and getting a functioning one back.

• Just wanted to let you know about my issues regarding this...

Got my FR945 replaced in the beginning of August for the first time, button issue. Got the Rev C back.

A week ago I got the watch replaced again, same button issue. Got the Rev. D back. Now the buttons felt fine, but the bagground light wasn't working, so once more a mail to garmin support.

This weekend I got a the watch from Garmin, Rev. D and the backlight was working, but during the initial setup the "up" button fell out, as in completely separated from the watch.

I have now contacted Garmin again and it hoping for a watch number 5, and I hope I might get lucky this time and get a watch that is working.

I'm not comfortable with the FR 945 and I might now switch to another watch brand - but I'm not sure who and if I can get a watch that support multisport as garmin... :-(

• That's so weird and unfair Disappointed

Did you send them the link to Garmin-Blake's post and everything? I really think it's down to if they can internally link it to the known issue internally where they must have guidance on how to proceed. But maybe I'm being naïve...

• Weird, unfair and yet - entirely par for the course! 

On my first call I was told that there was no known proplem with the buttons. The second told me that there was a known problem and I would get a replacement. The first email thereafter told me I would get a refurbished unit. The second email after that told me that was incorrect and I would get a new one. I think on my final call about the CC swap, I was probably lucky not to get someone who denied Garmin made sports watches at all, so no, I didn't bother to press the point further. It is entirely possible that others who have done a CC swap were able to make a compelling case that unlocked the floodgates of Garmin compassion. I wouldn't have been in a position to argue that wasn't the case. 

In my experience, Garmin support is generally better than most, but UK expectations of customer service in general are perhaps rather low and I think that colours behaviour on both sides.

• I just notice that my fenix6 sapphire also have this problem

• I would like to give a little feedback about the exchange of the watch in Germany.

First I sent a message and after three days I didn't get any feedback. Then I called them. The nice lady on the phone didn't know anything about a problem with the buttons, but she offered an exchange of the watch herself. For this the watch (only the watch housing without everything) had to be sent in first and only afterwards the new watch was sent out.

The whole thing took 6 days including sending it back and forth. The indication of a credit card number, as in UK or USA, in order to obtain a dispatch of the new clock before sending in the old clock, does not work in Germany. A new, sealed watch including accessories was sent.

The lady on the phone said that at the time of my call (last week) she didn't have any refurbished watches. The new watch is what I've been able to test so far, okay. So, if you also have the problem with the buttons and want to receive a new watch, better hurry.

• Thanks for the update. Just curious as to why the urgency - why do you say "Better hurry"?

• "Better hurry" before there are no new watches left and only refurbished watches get sent out. I find that Garmin generally should not send out refurbished watches within the warranty period.

• do you encounter same problem for fenix6 sappire edition?