This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the button issue resolved now?

After receiving a 945 a couple of months ago and seeing reports here of buttons not clicking that the up and down buttons on mine were quite squishy.

i didn't see much point exchanging at the time as replacements looked to be the same or worse.

Wondering at this stage if the issue has been fixed 100% or is it still current on new ones as otherwise this one is working ok.

For me the down button clicks if left a couple of seconds between pushes while the up button never clicks.

i'd like to know I'm getting one that's better before swapping otherwise it's not worth the inconvenience. 

I'm in Australia if that makes any difference to the batches being sent out. 

• is there a special revision, where there isn't this button problem, i still have it and i still wait for a call of Garmin germany to replace the watch?

• Had a Rev. D with no button problems. Now, after 1 month usage, the back button stopped to click.

• I don't remember there ever was an official statement from Garmin that a particular revision fixed the problem. Only anectodal evidence that Rev D seems to be better but as Garmin now only produces this one, it makes sense that for some people they see the problem being fixed with this version.

I myself had a Rev D replacement 2 weeks ago, so far it's ok, not the best buttons I ever had on a watch, but definitely better than my previous device (Rev C).

Again, without an official statement, we don't know if this is supposed to be fixed in a particular revision or if there is a chance that some units of any revision may be affected.

• However, I have one of the early models and all is good. I should add that on a 'button scale' the 'feel' of the 945 is not as good as the F6, which in turn is not as good as the Marq. I guess you get what you pay for.

• There are much cheaper models from Garmin having no button issues. This is sadly not "you get what you pay for' but "manufacturing, engineering failure". :-(

• not really agree with your statement; I remember all my previous Garmin, back to FR 220, or FR235 or FR735 and FR 935 and they all had perfect clicky buttons and they were not supposed to be as good as the 945 is (apart maybe the 935), in term of positioning on top of the FR range. So could you please explain why the 945 have this cheap feeling of the buttons when is claimed as the best in class of FR watches?

• I should add that on a 'button scale' the 'feel' of the 945 is not as good as the F6, which in turn is not as good as the Marq. I guess you get what you pay for.

One of the worst takes I have read so far from you. So your point is that one has to put 1500$ on the table to get a sports watch with properly working buttons?

I once had a Timex digital watch years ago that cost me 50$ and had perfect buttons. Btw, my "low end" Garmin watches 910XT and Fenix 3 were also ok.

• One of the worst takes I have read so far from you. So your point is that one has to put 1500$ on the table to get a sports watch with properly working buttons?

You know very well that's not what I said. 

Perhaps I was wrong to add :

I guess you get what you pay for.

But it does not get away from the the fact that the 'feel' of the buttons differ. Of course we all expect the buttons to work and keep working. I merely observed that the more you pay the better the feel.

Don't tell me that you expect to get the same quality between different models of anything at different price points be it a watch a car or a vacuum cleaner.

That was my point. A point that you chose to misinterpret.

• But it does not get away from the the fact that the 'feel' of the buttons differ. Of course we all expect the buttons to work and keep working. I merely observed that the more you pay the better the feel.

My son has the Forerunner 45 which is roughly 1/4 of the cost of the 945 and his buttons feel 100% better than my 945. It has nothing to do with the more you pay the better the feel. 

• I don't remember there ever was an official statement from Garmin that a particular revision fixed the problem. Only anectodal evidence that Rev D seems to be better but as Garmin now only produces this one, it makes sense that for some people they see the problem being fixed with this version.

I myself had a Rev D replacement 2 weeks ago, so far it's ok, not the best buttons I ever had on a watch, but definitely better than my previous device (Rev C).

Again, without an official statement, we don't know if this i

any news?

today i received replacement for Rev C to Rev D!