This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery life

Looking into the FIT files generated during activities and I'm seeing some worrying data

Runs with chest strap and GPS + Glonass are running at 2% per thirty minutes 

Runs with OHR and Music are running at 7% per thirty minutes

Giving a battery life of 18 hours and 7 hours respectively - compared to 36 and 10 as advertised.

Are others seeing this?

• I ran 87km run yesterday. 9:54. With Bluetooth on and getting frequent notifications, GPS only I went from 100% to 64%. Started in the dark too so backlight turned on frequently. Easily would get 30 hours...not that I plan on doing that anytime soon !

• Hi, this was on firmware 2.5?

• Mine lasts for approx. 14-15 hrs in watch mode. Once a day I do 1:00 - 1:20 hr workout (mostly race cycling; GPS+GLONASS; no music; HRM-Tri strap). For the rest of the day the device serves as a watch (BT on). The battery life is bad (compared to what is advertised).

Today I charged the device at 18:42 to 100% and at the time when I'am writing this post I'm on 67%. At 19:48 I did some interval training (50 min.; running; GPS+GLONASS; no music; HRM-Tri). The battery life widget says that the avg. drainage is 7.5%/hr... Also I noticed that the even though I have the watch face set to battery saving mode when asleep, it usually goes down for about 30 - 35 per night! And I have the spO2 switched off. My short log:

I have this watch for 4 days now but I will probably make a complaint. I expected the battery to last for at least 2 days ( bearing in mind how I use the device) and now I need to charge it 2 times per day. 

Something's not right (at least with my device; firmware 2.50).

UPDATE: I woke up at 4:53. Battery: 30% Disappointed

• That's unsatisfactory.  Initially I had very poor battery life.   As silly as it sounds just try turning the watch off and then back on again.  I tried lots of things.  When I loaded 2.48 the watch still seemed to be sucking up battery power on a seeminly random  basis - sometimes a high usage then long periods of low usage.  The HR Led's also did unexpected things.  Eventually I just decided to turn the watch off (about 5 minutes) and back on again.  That seemed to work.  Over the last 4 days I have used 5% per day in watch mode + bluetooth + activity tracking.  Now running 2.50

• Actually I've had a similar experience, when I notice battery being sucked up too fast, usually power cycling will fix the fast drain. I don't even have to wait like you did for 5 minutes.

It's as if something is running in the background that's using up CPU cycles, but gets killed when you essentially reboot the watch.

I'm running 2.50 .. hopefully a future upgrade will address this problem in a permanent way.

• I’m about 6 days in to this charge, running at 0.327%/hr average over that span. About two hours of GPS + BT. At this rate I’ll make it to 13 days- pretty close to what Garmin claimed, to my surprise. fw 2.50.

• This reminds me on the infamous "after workout battery drain" issue of the Fenix 5+ series. Not everyone was affected (I was of course ;-) ).

The battery usage during the activity was ok but as soon as it was ended, the watch drained battery very fast. For several months I did a reboot of my F5+  right after the activity was saved and synced. That stopped this behavior for me. In the meantime Garmin fixed it and I didn't have to do it any longer. Something that was never really fixed: unexplainable high battery drain over night (I do not even wear it over night). Since that happens I turn off my watches at night because I don't use them anyway...

What I read here sounds a bit like a resurrection of that issue.

• That's simply not right... 

Are you using a third party watchface? If so, try a stock one... just to see if that helps. Also, perhaps try disabling bluetooth for a while to see if that helps (just to pinpoint the issue).

Your battery is going at 5% an hour! Even if at 1/10th of that it would be too much...

• But his/her watch is already going at 5%/hr from the start... there's really something completely off.

• Hi there, I had exactly the same problem. After an hardfactory reset i am now on 0.246 to 0.370 per hour. When i do an Run or Cycle activity depending on the sensors it goes up. But after worths it normalizes again to normal levels. After an month of usages i think it really is good. 

Garmin 945 Hard reset

• Hold the power/Light key until the menu appears.
    • Choose power off.
    • Press and release power button and the watch should enter the boot sequence
    • Press and hold the buttons the Start Button and the Back Button. once the Garmin logo appears
    • Beep 1: release START button
    • Beep 2: release BACK button
    • Garmin watch is hard reset and ready to pair to Garmin Connect again.

Hope this helps take care

ps make sure you have tru-up on so you wont lose your settings.