This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pace During Workout is Incorrect

The calculation of the instant pace in version 7.11 deviates from the actual speed in about 0.5 min/km to 1 min/km.

• I can confirm the same. I ran 3x 10min threshold workout today, and I can see that the instant pace was bang on with the 13.24 software.
    It was also accurate on a shorter interval run of 12x 500m, 200 rec workout.

Thanks for addressing this issue Garmin!

• Same here.  I ran 90 second intervals, as I had in the past.  The 13.24 release is in fact much better at instantons pace (at least it was for me).  There is still a ramp of probably 15 seconds or so at the beginning of the interval, but it seems pretty similar to the 6.04 release (before the trouble started). 

While not perfect, a guided workout was much more reasonable now.  There's still a little bit of a race between the reported pace ramping up and the alert that tells me I'm too slow.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it complains and then corrects itself. (and sometimes I'm just too slow, but that's a ME thing.)

• Happy to hear that you guys are getting better results. I wish I could report the same and but unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the issue. The pace can be off anywhere from several seconds to 8 minutes and more well into the next interval. My watch is useless for a sprint workout and isn't much better on 1-minute intervals. I've tried switching up the settings to avail. Can I ask if you are in the USA just so that I can understand if everyone is receiving the same update no matter the country and then are you both using the voice prompts during the interval workouts or are you just looking at the slow/fast indicator screen and then comparing that with what the running data screen shows that your current pace is? And then one other setting question, did either of you have or currently have Live Track automatically enabled whenever you do a run? Because that's about the only other setting that I can think of to test. I doubt it will make any difference to disable it, but you never know. Oh, and one last general question, are either of your watches currently showing partially compatible in Garmin Connect? Mine is still showing that status and I don't know if  can shed any light on the reason why it's only partially compatible or not. I didn't get any straight answer from support when I emailed them, nor have I heard any new insight on this issue lately which is very discouraging. Oh, and if you are still reading, I just thought of another question are you both using a Garmin HRM Pro and if so, what do you have those settings on for speed and distance. I've changed those up as well and I currently have them both set to indoor although it doesn't seem to make any difference what the setting is on, the current pace is still way off on interval workouts.

• A few answers for you BTUFF ...

Yes, I'm in the US.

My voice alerts (too fast or too slow) seem to agree with what is shown on the watch.

I do use live track on every run.

I'm not sure where you see partial compatibility.  I do have TrueUp turned on, but this is my only Garmin wearable, so I don't think it would say anything about partial compatibility in this case.  If I'm wrong, let me know where to look.

I am not using HRM Pro.  I am using the Run Pod (the one that clips to the back of your pants).  I have previously tried using a foot pod, and had good results with that (once properly calibrated) set for speed always and distance only indoors.  The run pod has no such settings, and I don't think it factors into pace at all. (I wouldn't think the HRM Pro does either).

One thing I can think to check ... Make sure you are using the latest GPS firmware.  Mine is version 6.70.

• Thanks for the information I too use Live Track on every run although sometimes it doesn't work for whatever reason. I have True Up turned on as well. I don't have a Run Pod and I'm definitely not making any more purchases at this point, but I did try both of my older foot pods and the results were terrible as well. I did check the GPS firmware and yes, version 6.70 is on my watch. I even disabled the GPS on a run this week just to see if it would make any difference since some folks were saying that the GPS may be contributing to the instant pace issue. Doing that made no difference at all with my watch. Today it was horrible on a recovery run with the lap time coming in at a much faster pace than my best pace that was recorded for the entire activity which makes no sense at all. Recorded lap time should never come in faster than your best pace.  And yes, both my FR945LTE and my 4S are still currently showing partially compatible. If you sign into Garmin Connect on your computer you can check your watch status, just look to the top right of the screen and click on the watch icon and then click on manage device priority or just click on the watch that is listed. The next screen that opens shows the watch status. If you go to my post at Primary Wearable Partially Compatible - Forerunner 945 LTE - Running/Multisport - Garmin Forums there is a screenshot. For whatever reason it doesn't let me attach the screenshot here. Anyway, support had told me over two weeks ago that they were rolling out the fix for the compatibility of the FR945LTE in batches but didn't say anything about the 4S. As of today, I have not received anything. Unfortunately, my watch is seemingly far worse than it was. I used to only see the issue happening on interval runs but now I'm seeing it on base and recovery runs as well. 

Thanks again, I appreciate you sending the information.

• Hey,
    I just want to chime in and say that the latest update seems to have fixed the instant pace issues. Snow makes faster intervals rarer these days but had a session last week that seemed pretty much spot on. Thank you!

I also want to use the opportunity to say I'm really happy with the other features added to this watch the last few months (morning reports, wrist based power etc). It gives me incentive to stay in the ecosystem moving forward. I'm also going to throw in that even with the new models being released - LTE is a total must for me and I will not go back to not having it. Leaving my phone behind for my runs while still having the safety of being connected if needed is amazing.

All in all a happy customer here! :-)

• I had the same problem during the last 2 marathons, one in November and the other yesterday. The difference reported between what garmin 945 indicated and the race stopwatch is 30 seconds/km. how can i solve this problem?
    In addition to this problem I also encountered strong problems on the length of both marathons of more than 3 km difference.
    how can i solve both problems.
    Thank you very much
  • I'm sad to say I believe the issues are back in 14.52 :-(
    Instant pace is about 30 seconds off what ends up being the lap average pace.

• thank you so much for the answer.

How can we solve this problem?

• From what I can see from the picture it looks a different problem.

You have an offset of approximately 30"/km between the instantaneous and the average pace, which remains more or less stable also during the intervals. The previous problem was a delay of several minutes between the instantaneous pace measurement  and the real running pace.

I can report that since the 14.52 update I had three runs at base pace and I didn't observe any anomaly. I will check more carefully with some interval session in the week.

Have you checked all the GPS settings? Maybe Garmin-Kevin or someone else can identify the root cause and suggest you a solution.