This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot Update Wi-Fi Software to 4.01

Former Member
Former Member

Pre upgrade to 7.07 Wifi was working fine. After the update the watch won't see any WiFi networks. Doesn't matter if it is 5GHz or 2.4, b or g, or open or closed. I noticed my Wifi firmware was stuck at 3.00. The latest firmware is 4.01. For some reason my watch is not getting that version Is there a manual download link for Wifi version 4.01 anywhere?

• Hi Gerard,

* Only connect by computer via Garmin Express app... no need for Wifi for this update.

* You need Wifi 4 to show-up BEFORE you install 7.11.  Do not install 7.11 until Wifi is updated to 4.

* 7.11 is the blocker here with Wifi updating from 3 to 4.

• Hi Joel - I had the same problem with drag/drop Garmin files in Windows.  I then tried just dragging them onto the desktop before putting into the Garmin folder.  It worked. 

• Thanks, I mostly felt uneasy about the downgrading bit / which file /renaming. But if that is ok I might follow these tomorrow night. (Need it in good nick tomorrow afternoon)

• Makes sense.  I spent a long time trying to figure out how to make the watch downgrade with the downloaded file.  It wasn't until I renamed the file (GUPDATE-507.GCD) as Garmin suggests to GUPDATE.GCD that the watch recognized it and did a downgrade.  I made these changes a few weeks ago and have had no problems with the watch.  Really happy to have the new features!

• Downgraded twice every time 7.11 gets installed before the wifi can update.

• Try turning off auto-update.  If you use the Garmin Express app, it will only install what you select.

• Thanks for the info wmozell. I have successfully downgraded to software 5.07 and have auto update off. however, similar to as dunc previously reported I do not see the Wifi 4.01 update coming through in Garmin Express. Have tried all steps above to prompt this. When I go back to software 7.11, then I immediately see the Wifi 4.01 update coming available in Garmin Express, yet the watch can't install this. Where you on software 5.07 or 6.04 when you saw the Wifi 4.01 update come available? Renaming GUPDATE-507.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD installs software 5.07.

• For some reason, after the the downgrade to 5.07, and removing my wifi setting just to be sure there is no hidden download.

Garmin express thinks i still have 7.11 on the watch. If I use garmin connect web it does reflect the 5.07 version.  I tried it on a different computer as well that has not seen this watch, garmin express there thinks it is on 7.11, even though  the watch says 507

(the possibility to upgrade to 7.11 does show up on the watch, but then 3.00 is still there)

• Hi David - I downgraded to 5.07.  The package you downloaded from the Garmin page had two files:  I. 6.04 ALPHA and II. 5.07 PUBLIC RELEASE.  I simply could not get the 6.04 ALPHA file to be recognized by the watch to do a software update.  I then went back to the previous software that was publicly released, and that was 5.07.  5.07 is confirmed to have Wifi 4.01 by GARMIN - KEVIN.

I do believe the most "random" part in all of this is waiting and seeing if/when the Garmin Express app will show Wifi 4.01 available for download.  Dunc said he waited over night and had quit and restarted the app multiple times and even uninstalled/installed it.

• Hi Gerard - See my response below to David.  Both Dunc and I had the same experience trying to get Garmin Express on mac/pc to do it's job and find the right file for the watch.