This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot Update Wi-Fi Software to 4.01

Pre upgrade to 7.07 Wifi was working fine. After the update the watch won't see any WiFi networks. Doesn't matter if it is 5GHz or 2.4, b or g, or open or closed. I noticed my Wifi firmware was stuck at 3.00. The latest firmware is 4.01. For some reason my watch is not getting that version Is there a manual download link for Wifi version 4.01 anywhere?

• Hi Joel - If you take the steps above that dunc and I did, you will solve the problem.  A bit of a pain, but it works and is worth it.

Good luck!

• Thanks. Will start reading up.

Does Garmin offer any other solutions for people who are not power users? In other words, people who do not want to downgrade the software on their watch? 

• Hello Joel!  I see that Hannah from Garmin Support has reached out to you to get information needed for a current investigation we have for this report.  If you reply directly to her email with the requested information, she should be able to get you added as an affected user.

This additional information from you may help us to find (and fix) the root cause for this report.

• it looks like I have the same problem. I got a replacement 945LTE because I smashed the screen falling. I think it was on the former software issue 6.04 (not a beta). I updated it tot 7.11 

it gave me 0-minute updates, so i switched auto update off. WIfi ison 3.0 now.

I read in this thread that you can manually downgrade to 6.04 beta, then wait for the wifi update and then update to 7.11.  But this will destroy the watch how it is setup. move back HRV tracking etc.

Is there no other method then resetting and destroying everything ?  It seems so simple to make a 3-> 4 wifi update available

• I have the same issue also a brand new watch and haven’t been able to use wifi as it upgraded to 7.11 on initial sync and the wifi software remained as 3.00. Tried the steps above with no luck. Garmin Technical support is also not of much help.

• Same here.

I received yesterday a brand new 945 LTE (directly from Garmin):

• The watch came with pretty old firmware 3.xx (I think it was 3.08?)
    • I started the configuration process (pairing with Phone, GC Account etc.)
    • Few minutes after Wifi was configured (&worked) the watch notified me about a new SW 7.11
    • The updated completed after few minutes, it was followed by another few smaller updates, whereas 1-2 attempts failed
    • After some restarts I continued with the configuration, all went fine except the Spotify configuration as it requires Wifi => here I noticed that Wifi doesn’t work at all 

I assume this issue affects ALL CUSTOMERS who bought a brand new 945 LTE from stock (with old SW).

The solution described in this forum is really a pain, as an downgrade will throw away all your configuration efforts. Moreover it’s not deterministic at all. I’m now on SW 5.07 since yesterday, the Wifi SW is still 3.00. Multiple attempts connecting / syncing / switching on/off didn’t trigger an update of the Wifi component yet.

• I also purchased a brand new Garmin Forerunner 945 LTE last week and am experiencing the same problem. Yesterday I started the troubleshooting procedure as described on this page. Am currently on software 5.07, yet awaiting for the Wifi update to show up in Garmin Express. Was wondering how long it took wmozell to see the Wifi update pop up as this can't be triggered? Hopefully Garmin support will quickly provide a solution as many people seem affected.

• Hi David - The Wifi update showed up randomly after I did the following:

- close/opened Express app

- uninstalled/reinstalled the Express app 

- made sure the watch had auto update turned off

Somewhere along the way the Wifi 4.0 update showed up in the Express app.  I know it was stated above, but it was key to not install anything else until the Wifi update was complete.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

• Thanks. Have shared my garmin log with her. She’s been really helpful. Will keep working with her and garmin to find a solution.  Looks like other new buyers are in the same situation.  Probably worth escalating this bug with your eng team and getting it fixed in one of their next sprints  

Unfortunately, I’m not able to do the downgrade technique to fix the problem suggested on the forum. The windows laptop I have access to restricts dropping garmin software files in for security reasons. 

• Hi all,

So to go over the steps just to check before I do something stupid  

I don’t use WiFi all that much but did use it for podcasts etc 

Backup everything as per instructions Garmin Kevin:

Backup Personal Settings Instructions for Outdoor Watches  (This link just give a generic ‘are you looking for help site)

Can I Back up My Information and Settings on My Garmin Device?

Download 6.04 B from the link

https://forums.garmin.com/beta-program/forerunner-945-lte/f/announcements/298498/public-alpha-version-6-04---now-available

get the GUPDATE-507.GCD file from this download (that was the bit that was unclear to me), place it in the GARMIN folder and rename to GUPDATE.GCD. Disconnect the device to install.

Make sure to set updates to manual, (do I leave wifi off entirely, only connect via computer and garmin express? ) and then only manually install wifi 4 when it comes, only after install 7.11 as wmozell explained?

Just don’t want to break anything….

Gerard