This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot Update Wi-Fi Software to 4.01

Former Member
Former Member

Pre upgrade to 7.07 Wifi was working fine. After the update the watch won't see any WiFi networks. Doesn't matter if it is 5GHz or 2.4, b or g, or open or closed. I noticed my Wifi firmware was stuck at 3.00. The latest firmware is 4.01. For some reason my watch is not getting that version Is there a manual download link for Wifi version 4.01 anywhere?

• Thanks for the response.  To be honest I'm a getting fatigued from the testing - setting up after RMA, then spent so much time just debugging the issue already, I'm not too eager to essentially start from scratch to reconfigure settings, sensors, watch faces, apps, and reset the clock again on the training readiness and HRV data.  If this wasn't my primary device then I would for sure. But as it is:  Is it not reproducible on your side?

• I have not been able to reproduce this on either of the two FR 945 LTE devices I have.  Below are some FAQs that MAY allow you to save/backup some settings from your watch before proceeding with the software adjustment:

Backup Personal Settings Instructions for Outdoor Watches

Can I Back up My Information and Settings on My Garmin Device?

• Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the effort.  OK, I'll try it when I can in the next few days, hopefully tonight.  Do I understand correctly you got your devices with 7.11 and Wifi 3.00 and were able to upgrade to wifi 4.01?

• So I keep one 945 LTE enrolled in beta program and the other one will only run production software.  Because the 7.11 production sw is newer than the 7.07 beta sw, both watches are now running 7.11.

As far as the Wi-Fi sw goes, the non beta 945 LTE unit installed the Wi-Fi update around February of 2022, as expected.  This was prior to 6.04 even rolling out this past summer.  So, for the non beta 945 LTE, the 4.01 Wi-Fi sw was already successfully installed before 6.04, 7.07, or 7.11 were ever released.  While installing 6.04 and 7.11 production sw, the 4.01 Wi-Fi sw remained installed and unaffected by the new device sw.

The 945 LTE watch that I have enrolled in the beta program came out of the box with 6.04 device sw and 4.01 Wi-Fi sw already installed.    While installing 7.07 beta sw and 7.11 production sw, the 4.01 Wi-Fi sw remained installed and unaffected by the new device sw.

I hope that makes my specific situations(s) clear to you.

• That doesn't reproduce the issue - it is as expected as you already have 4.01 installed at the time you are running 7.11/7.07.

Do you have access to a device with Wifi 3.00 on it, upgrade to 7.11 or 7.07 first, and then try updating to wifi 4.01?

4 cases on this thread and 1 on reddit documented failing to upgrade from that state (7.11 + wifi 3.00).  3 folks worked around it by downgrading to 6.04 and then upgrading again.

• Unfortunately, I do not have access to any units with the 3.00 Wi-Fi sw.  Please let us know if the downgrade method works for you as it did for other users.

• Downgraded to 5.07.  Wifi update never came through on Garmin Express.  Left it overnight, but same thing.  Only the 7.11 update.
    • Upgraded to 7.11 again.  Wifi update was available in Garmin Express - installed onto the watch.  The install didn't work, but it left gup2196.gcd in RemoteSW folder.
    • Downgrade to 5.07.  It does not prompt to update wifi.
    • Upgrade to 6.04beta - same thing.

Have tried removing GarminDevices.xml and rebooting, etc. with no luck.

There's a clear difference in behaviour with updates between 5.07/6.04 and 7.x - in the latter if I add the file to RemoteSW then it prompts to install when I disconnect from USB.  In the older versions, it's not happening.

How can I trigger the wifi update on the older versions?

• Dunc - I had the same experience you did and repeated it countless times with failure.  The ONLY sequence I found success with was:

- rename GUPDATE-507.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD and place into the Garmin folder

- the watch should update once it is disconnected from the PC

- Do not upgrade to 7.11 until the wifi 4.01 comes available.  This is key.

- Upgrade to wifi 4.01 - yes, this may not show-up right away in express, but it will eventually

- Once wifi is upgraded to 4.01, then upgrade to 7.11

I hope this works for you.  I spent way too much time trying to fix this issue, but it was well worth it when it finally came together.

Good luck.

• Thanks!  Left it in the above state and paired to my phone, enabled auto update.  At some point I checked the version numbers several hours later and found wifi4.01 had applied sometime.  I'm surprised I missed the update but there you go.  So back onto Garmin Express, which claimed I was already at 7.11 (facepalm).  Tried a few things there, I think quitting and restarting Garmin Express actually helped, and it picked up the 7.11 update.  I'm good now.  Thanks for the help wmozell and others!

I also spent too many hours on this, as the update processes are not deterministic - some patience and luck are involved.

• I too bought a new 945 LTE (upgraded from another Garmin), and it is now unable to connect to wifi. Super frustrating. It's running on v7.11 now and v3.00 wifi. I have tried manually entering the wifi on Connect and Express. No luck. "No Wifi Networks Found" 

I couldn't believe it. Today, one Garmin customer support person told me "you don't need wifi all that much," and the other ended the chat online as we were troubleshooting. 

Come on Garmin, help us out.