This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heartrate data totally wrong when walking

I've a  Forerunner 255 since November and at the moment I've SW 13.23.

I've utilized the watch when running , and  compared HR data  with  a HRM-dual  collected by a 920XT. Data are quite similar, just 1 bpm difference on average.

Then I compared to a Venu (1st generation) which I don't use it anymore because of a majour  defect of display (became green instead of white). During a running activity BPM data of 255  are practically the same as the Venu. Therefore I was reasonably satisfied until I  discovered that during a normal walking (with or without an acitivity)  after 5 minutes walking data  becomes totally crazy. Meaning  something between 100 and 160 bpm during normal walking. First time that happened I became  almost afraid to have a  cardiac desease, but then I  have put the Venu on the other wrist at the same time discovering that my heartrate was absolutely normal when walking between 60-70 bpm.

I performed the following test:

1.  Excluded Move IQ - failed (meaning that the BPM rate was wrong compared to the one I've on Venu on the other wrist)
  2. Tighten the watch on the wrist- failed
  3. Rotated the  watch and positioned under the wrist -  failed
  4. Put some water between watch and  wrist, to obtain humid skin -  failed
  5. Activate a walking activity -  failed
  6. Inverted wrist, positioning Venu on the left wrist and 255 on the right wrist.  failed. Venu is always  ok.
  7. Utilized a HRM dual instead of Venu sensor on the other wrist. failed (sensor on the chest was ok)

Then I  don't know what to do anymore. It's a fact that when walking 255  is giving totally wrong heartrate data, despite the fact (or due to the fact)  that is utlizing a new sensor or the algo for walking is not reliable. To notice that inhouse (or outside) if I  don't move the HR seems  ok . But then if I start to walk, not immediately, but after 5 minutes the rate shown increase like crazy. At the moment temperature outside are beween 4-8 degrees Centigrade. I can't say if it will happen also at higher temperature

I've followed what it is said in the manual with no results:

Tips for Erratic Heart Rate Data
If the heart rate data is erratic or does not appear, you can try these tips.
• Clean and dry your arm before putting on the watch.
• Avoid wearing sunscreen, lotion, and insect repellent under the watch.
• Avoid scratching the heart rate sensor on the back of the watch.
• Wear the watch above your wrist bone. The watch should be snug but comfortable.
• Wait until the icon is solid before starting your activity.
• Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes and get a heart rate reading before starting your activity.
NOTE: In cold environments, warm up indoors.
• Rinse the watch with fresh water after each workout.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At home  during the day, and in the night , bpm are ok . also resting  HR measured  is ok (exactly the same as Venu)  -  

Whern running an activity data are ok (except during warm-up but this is normal (also mentioned on the manual and also happened with Venu on the wrist ,not with the HRM)

What I noticed is that compared to Venue HR on 255  , (both in no move arm position)  is going up and  down of 1-2 or  even 3  bpm quite  frequently in respect of Venu that looks much more stable, that let me think that is an algo issue.

May Garmin fix this annoying problem ?   can't be acceptable to have such an issue .  Those wrong bpm rate when walking are generating extra and wrong weekly Intensity minutes even without an activity.

If anyone has the same experinece or has some suggestion is really  welcome.

Thank you

• If anyone has the same experinec

Can‘t confirm. My walks have quite realistic HR, of course depending on my speed and elevation I cover.
    FR 255, firmware 13.23

or has some suggestion

You should consider contacting [email protected] 
    Chances are low, that this is a common problem, maybe your device needs a replacement 

• I recall reading somewhere that the OHR uses a lower level of "power lets say" when not being inside an activity. So if you start an activity it increases the level of accuracy vs an IQ move type measurement.  I cannot recall on what forum I saw that recently.

• Thank you, but I tried also that:  I started an activity (walking , not  running) without any improvement. But you gave me an idea of a new test:  I  will try  to launch a running activity  and then  walking  instead of  running to see of bpm rate will be realistic. Th "funny"  thing is that when running  bpm is ok. What kind of algo Garmin has develepoded ?    mystery.....

• I have mostly been using running as activity for walking, as it picks up a lot more Strava segments that way. Heart rate readings are mostly fine. It does happen from time to time that the walking cadence (around 120) is picked up as heart rate, particularly in inclines where the heart rate is high.

• many thanks for  your observation and tip. i will try to start a running activity and walk to see what happen. Of course I  should need to erase the activity everytime. It's  absurde and I 'm astonished that Garmin can't fix that. 

• Why would you want to erase it? Maybe change the activity type afterwards, but you did complete the activity, so I wouldn't delete it.

• Thank you for your interest in my problem. Well I think to erase it because a normal short walking looks to me not relevant to be listed as an activity . I do also have a strava and sporttracks connections and normaly I do only list running, trial running, biking, biking indoor  or very long walking . But if I go outside just to buy a newspaper or go shopping it looks to me not a good idea to list it as an activity in my sport statistics. In any case I still  hope that Garmin realize this as an issue. With Venu I had no problem for heartrate (I had an issue with the display that became  green......  sh.....)  thank you again