This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backlight not working

I just got my forerunner 255 and the backlight is not working no matter I change the parameters or I try to reset it.

Should I return it ?

• If you have updated the firmware to the latest (either 11 or 12), then probably you have to return it.

• I had this posted in another thread but was asked to move it here.

First post 23 days ago:

I kind of have the opposite problem. I set Gesture--> ON but it does not work.
    No matter how much arm flailing I do the Backlight does not come on. 
    At night I must press the light button but I'd really just like to "turn on the screen by raising and turning your arm to look at your wrist" like the manual says.

Second post 3 days ago:

Any hope of resolution for this? Why would I buy a watch that the most fundamental function  - SEEING THE DISPLAY - is not working as expected? The display itself, in my view even without backlight, is not as bright or readable as the previous FR235 I had for years. Generally I am disappointed in this purchase, though I used the course navigation recently for the first time and found that to be awesomely helpful.

New addition today:

I noticed that the gesture enable is working in my morning in the 9AM to 12PM range, though I am not sure about the exact window. This morning around 10AM I noticed this. Then by afternoon and continuing until now (currently 9:30PM), it is not working.  Fimrware in the watch is 12.23 You have my permssion to contact me by email, you can access my Garmin account, and I live in the US

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 7179321

If I had to guess, it's a hardware problem.

• The function definitely works during the same morning time window every day. I just checked more carefully and it seems to have stopped working at 12 noon. I know just prior to this it was OK and now it is not.

So either this is a firmware bug or there is some setting, out of the extraordinary number of setting options, that is either default set to limit the hours this function works, or I set something inadvertently to cause this problem.

• Ok I have the 955 not 255 but they run the same firmware. I haven't had an issue with mine at all and it works all day until the sleep hours when I have it disabled.

Have you done a Hard power off on the watch (Hold power until past the assistance part until it shuts off) then power back on. Sometimes this resets certain items.

On The app , under Device> System > Backlight have you checked all the settings and there isn't maybe some issue with the sleep hours that may be incorrect here , especially since you mention a 12:00 cutoff issue .

Just some thoughts.

FWIW there is a new 12:27 Beta out today also if that is of interest.

• S.M.R. Thank you! Based on your suggestion I checked the hours I had set for sleep. I mistakenly had it set for 12PM instead of 12AM as time to go to sleep. Changing this was the key to enabling gesture enabled backlight.

I'd probably debate the concept of linking the sleep time to when gesture enable works. Seems like it should be independent so if you wake in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is it would work then too.

Anyway, you get the gold star for explaining the link between sleep settings and gesture active mode!

• Wow so glad that helped!

• Hi. I have the same problem. Did you get a proper answer to the backlight problem?

• Hi. I got a new Garmin 255 and have exactly the same problem. Did you get a proper answer to the backlight problem?