This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Running Power - how to set up and use Power data during Races

Hi Garmin Running Community

I am a keen runner, and aim to utilise Garmin Power Apps during races, to better manage performance during races.

I have a Fenix 5 + Garmin HRM. I have downloaded Power Apps, which are loaded to my watch. What I now need to do is understand how to create Power Zones, specific to me . I am unclear what data I should use to enter into power zones. Ultimately I want to do race times, factoring terrain/weather, so better understanding of power will ensure I am better paced to the race conditions.

I would be most grateful to any runners who utilise this data and the impact it has had on their performance.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

First you need to find your running functional threshold power (rFTPw)  Use the first link.  Your rFTPw will differ depending on what you're using to record power.  For example, my rFTPw is about 100 points higher using the Garmin Power app compared to using my Stryd.  Regardless of that number, then zones work out the same as they're broken down in percentage of your rFTPw.

https://www.velopress.com/how-to-find-your-running-functional-threshold-power-rftpw/

There are a few different power zone settings.  Vance's is probably the most commonly used and uses 7 zones, where Stryd uses 5 zones.  Second link.

https://www.velopress.com/jim-vances-running-power-zones/

• Thank you very much for your advice. As you use Stryd, may i ask the benefits of this for runners who already have a Garmin Fenix 5 + Garmin HRM? Garmin Support indicated there was no additional benefit to purchasing a Stryd device

• To add to this: a lot of features that work with pace and heart rate,  do not work with power,  e.g. zones, alerts, etc.

Follow the instructions above,; define your zones and then use a formula to work out your target power from your rFTPw and race time. I used www.runningbynumbers.com/race_power.html

Generally I read that Garmin watts are 32% or so higher than Stryd's, but that's irrelevant. What matters is the ratio of effort vs your rFTPw, and measuring consistently.

It was incredibly effective in race situations as I knew how hard I could go for my expected race time, when to take my foot off the pedal a bit, so not suffer from hills as much, and ended up getting several PBs that way.

Now that I do not train using power, as there's too few features to my  liking, and Stryd is just too expensive for the added value vs Garmin running power in my use case.

• Hi,

I use Stryd and upload to Garmin. Garmin does not allow for running power zones so an easy run at easy pace has higher watts than my cycling FTP and Garmin analyses this as an anaerobic training.

Is there a way to change running power zones on Garmin?