This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2Max no longer updating?

I've been using my vivoactive 4 for three weeks now and all was fine (except downloading Spotify music of course, but that is a known issue apparently), but Monday 14 Oct is the last time my VO2Max got updated.

- Oct 14, did a run, no issues, VO2Max updated
- Oct 15, ran again, VO2max did not update, but there was server maintenance, so I thought that was the cause
- Oct 16, another run, but still no new VO2Max estimate

In the Android app I can see the overview of my VO2Max stats over the last year (updated until 14 Oct), on the website (connect.garmin.com) the only mention of VO2Max is under reports and no longer as a separate menu item:

I got an app update and FW update a few days ago, so maybe the issue started from then, but I'm not sure.

Is this a known issue? Are more people experiencing this?

• You can set your activity class on http://connect.garmin.com. Click your picture on the top right and go to Account settings and there you'll find page User settings where you can set your activity class.

I just changed it from 5 to 6, hopefully that overwrites the value that is in the watch now. I can't imagine that really works, but we'll keep on trying as long as Garmin remains silent about this issue... :(

• Thanks, found it. Actually I haven't got it set before - I had none :) Anyway change it to 6.

BUT I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with our problem. I'm also almost sure it has nothing to do with our device or our software. If I get it right, the data for VO2 is brought to us actually by Firstbeat. So Garmin sends our training data to them, Firstbeat calculates it and sends it back. Looks like that mechanism failed for some reason again - yes, like wrote there, the problem is "quite historic". 

• I can confirm the activity class this has nothing to do with the VO2Max not updating...

Changed my class from 5 to 6. Just ran 10k. And still no VO2Max update...

Very disappointing that Garmin is not responding to my email regarding this issue or otherwise giving an update on how they're going to fix this...

• - Quite honestly this is hard to determine it is actually an issue without supporting activity data. Can you provide some examples of your recent runs where you expected your VO2 Max to increase? If you would like to share this information via Private Message, feel free to reach out to me.

As for your comment about how FirstBeat works, we do not send data to FirstBeat for review. We are using their Algorithm in the watch's software to determine your VO2 Max estimate. 

• Why is Garmin continuously pushing back instead of replicating and solving the issue? Many people are reporting the same since SW3.50.

What kind of supporting activity data do you need? Multiple runs ranging from 5km to 15km with intervals and average pace below 5 minutes per km?

• I absolutely agree with this, and it is the impression I got myself when trying to establish a coherent conversation with support. All the jargon and Jibber jabber is no good to me. I purchase, I use as intended and I expect a fully functioning product with the support needed if there are problems, which I totally understand there will be sometimes. 

The VO2 Max estimate is a top tool for me personally and it's a big blow if it doesn't work and/or there is no explanation as to why... Especially in most cases here where it did work before an update. 

Don't give us Jibber jabber Garmin hahah - just help your customers fix things! 

That being said, I've returned mine today and got my money back. Winner. Might try again in 6 months when the teething issues should be well sorted. 

• - I was trying to figure out what correlation to not getting a VO2 Max Estimate all the users here were experiencing here. There is absolutely no data/examples that backup the VO2 Max Estimates are not updating. I am looking for data such as activity data, when the last VO2 Max Estimate was given, where are you viewing the VO2 Max Estimate, does this differ between Garmin Connect Web/Watch/Mobile App. If you would like to help and do not want to post it publicly in the thread, feel free to Private Message me or simply share the information here.

• I sent you a friend request on this forum so I can send you some of the .fit files from my recent activities.

With my previous vivoactives (HR and 3) I always checked my VO2Max in the Android app and the first two weeks this also worked for the vivoactive 4. As you can see in this screenshot, the value simply doesn't update anymore despite several runs I did since October 14th:

On Connect Web the VO2Max menu is completely gone as you can see in the screenshot I posted in the first message of this forum topic. On the watch the VO2Max simply states Last updated: Oct 14.

I'm pretty confident this issue started after updating to software version 3.50. If it is possible I would gladly downgrade to version 3.40, so if you know a way to achieve that? Even better would be a fix, and soon please? Because this is a very annoying bug...

• So glad you showed up here, thank you :) I'm in the exact shoes like  VA4 is my first Garmin device (actually first sportwatch ever) and it calculated v02 after every training since I bought it. Then it suddenly stopped, last one is from 12.10., next training was on 15.10. On the web there is no place to view vo2max historical or current, on the watch I can see my last reading from 12.10. On the app same as RobinFM, estimated after every training until 12.10. Send you friend's request, so I can send you the training files.

• Same here! Last update 13 okt. Since then no more updates Disappointed