Google Assistant not working after latest update - follow up

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/venu-2-plus-964331130/318314/google-assistant-not-working-after-latest-update

I believe this is a [edited] joke. I followed the thread above for like months and basically none of the users which were complaining about the assistant not working for them had one of the device listed in the "Incompatibility list". So my only guess is that you, Garmin, [edited], given that previous thread had over 30k views and decided to just close that one hoping for problem to go away, hoping that people will create many small threads for each incompatibility case. Why do you care less about people ? In my case the assistant does not work for months (even a year maybe), I sent you all kinds of logs, diagnostics and other potentially useful information and you did literally nothing, I've never heard back from you. So I hope this thread (and previous one) will serve as the BIG WARNING FLAG for other people considering buying your watches with Google Assistant. I hope it will work for other people, but in case it wouldn't just don't expect much if any support. Considering this is a watch for like over 400$ it's just a sad joke.

PS. I hope all this people which previously posted in previous thread will also post here to gain some "visibility" of this thread too.

Cheers

Moderator edited for language

• Thanks. Also my workaround is a little less of a workaround because as of today when GA reads me a message and asks if I want to reply it never beeps to hear me say yes on the watch. So it never gets a response from me and just closes.

• Yea, I went through that too.  Hours of tinkering, only end up with inconsistent results that don't work.

• So my workaround still works for SMS texts, And it lets me hear WhatsApp but never gives me a chance to say yes when it asks if I want to respond.  Also interesting is the fact that it still works when I don't allow personal results on lock screen or on headphones. (Which was the first 2 things support had me take screen shots of before I found the workaround. I guess to prove that I turned them on because after they told me to I really did not want to do it for fear it might fix the problem Slight smile)

• I fired up my prior Samsung phone and the assistant works perfectly on the latest version of Google that that phone has. Current Pixel is 14.21.13.29.arm64. But Samsung is 15.4.35.28.arm64. WTF?

• Here is a list of Google app versions https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-search/

Weird that it works on Samsung but not Pixel, and the version delta.  Android apps are sometimes rolled out in phases, but 14.x is pretty old. 

• Wow, response on my support ticket:

Hello Al, 

I just heard back from our team that was investigating your Google voice assistant issue and they advised that this appears to be a bug on Google's end, and to please reach out to Google for further support 

Take care, 

Thomas

Product Support

Garmin International

• Sure thing, not taking any responsibility on your own, just force customer to take care of the problem by himself, even though there are hundreds of people here with same problem. Let's be honest, this is a total piss on us and lack of any good will to solve this problem .

Is it too much to cooperate with Google team and try to solve it ? If the problem would appear for 100% of users you'd still say to "not our problem, go to Google" ? From what I remember I did not buy watch from Google, but from Garmin ?

Especially given the fact that most likely this is a problem with single app ("Google" app) is it really that much to try to solve it internally with Google team and provide updated version of the app with proper support ? I'd understand if it would be a "OS" problem, like for example OnePlus Android version having some problem, but it looks like it is related to the installed "Google" app which makes it much easier to deal with.

• It makes no sense. The assistant works fine with all my other devices - car, headphones, etc. And it works fine with the watch when you uninstall the latest Google app updates. (Although when you uninstall the updates it ONLY works with the watch and it STOPS working with other devices.) It is clearly a Garmin problem.

• , , and others, I think we all see it clearly.  I believe even Garmin sees it clearly where is issue and responsibility lies.  The most disappointing part is Garmin not accepting the responsibility for their product.  Of course, if they admit fault, there will be reputational damage, there will be a run on demands for refund, articles will be written.  I think it's time that we tip off the popular tech journals and have them shine a spotlight on this issue.  Engadget, Gizmodo, TechRadar, CNET, Wired, and many more.  

Indeed, ALL my other devices, including 3rd-party devices by Jabara, Samsung, Sony, and no-name brands ALL work with the latest Assistant.  So yea, Google must have introduced a bug to ONLY target Garmin Venus. /s

As I wrote before, I have been loyal to Garmin for multiple decades and always buying the latest, but no more.  I have also stopped recommending them to friends and family.  The sad part is that Garmin won't even admit that they have a role in the problem.  Since this debacle began, I started to move away from Garmin to WearOS.  I am not looking back.  Whomever at Garmin that made the decision to respond this way should be FIRED.

I also just looked--Garmin is a public company.   Maybe I'll leverage some equity and let their investor relations know just how much of a screw up this has been.  Btw, I'm still around for morbid curiosity and to support my fellow Garmin (now I'm ex-) users.  It feels wrong for Garmin to stonewall so many people.  Anyway....

• Since this debacle began, I started to move away from Garmin to WearOS.

I think you said in an earlier post that you went to Samsung Galaxy? How does it compare?