Google Assistant not working after latest update - follow up

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/venu-2-plus-964331130/318314/google-assistant-not-working-after-latest-update

I believe this is a [edited] joke. I followed the thread above for like months and basically none of the users which were complaining about the assistant not working for them had one of the device listed in the "Incompatibility list". So my only guess is that you, Garmin, [edited], given that previous thread had over 30k views and decided to just close that one hoping for problem to go away, hoping that people will create many small threads for each incompatibility case. Why do you care less about people ? In my case the assistant does not work for months (even a year maybe), I sent you all kinds of logs, diagnostics and other potentially useful information and you did literally nothing, I've never heard back from you. So I hope this thread (and previous one) will serve as the BIG WARNING FLAG for other people considering buying your watches with Google Assistant. I hope it will work for other people, but in case it wouldn't just don't expect much if any support. Considering this is a watch for like over 400$ it's just a sad joke.

PS. I hope all this people which previously posted in previous thread will also post here to gain some "visibility" of this thread too.

Cheers

Moderator edited for language

• I'd like to echo what you said. Also, the final post in that old thread that was shutdown stated about the incompatible devices list but didn't mention what the outcome of everyone elses devices that aren't on that list is, mainly newer phones. Does that mean the newer devices have a fix coming? Garmin your communication is useless. IF THIS CAN'T BE FIXED AT ALL THEN COME OUT AND SAY SO, instead of keeping everyones hopes up that a fix is coming.

• I understand and apologize for any frustration caused by this. After lots of investigation, we found that there are limitations that need to be dwelt with between you and your phone manufacturer. So far, we know that OnePlus, unfortunately, will not work with our devices for the Google Assistant feature. We are tracking reports of other devices. If your phone is not listed on this chart, it is not a OnePlus phone, and you are still having issues with Google Assistant, I ask that you reach out directly to Product Support moving forward so our Support team can gather the necessary details to officially report.

• Agree.  Thanks for posting this follow up.  I have had over a dozen Garmin products over the years, including several expensive watches.  Garmin has lost a loyal customer because of their lack of, then impotent, then evasive responses.

• Let me ask you a question, did you give any feedback to a single person which spent their precious time to gather all the logs you wanted us to provide during your "investigation" ? Also I don't see a single OnePlus device on the list from the link you provided. If you are sure it won't work then place it on the list so none of the OnePlus users will buy this watch by mistake. Still, given that it worked for me (OnePlus 8 user) on Android 12 it is hard to imagine that it would not work with Android 13. Also, there are far more people there with different phones like Google Pixels and Samsung Galaxy which are also affected by this.

• Hi,

I have a OnePlus Open and it used to work before. It only stopped working a couple of months ago. Why?

And it is not linked to an Android update, as I was on Android 13 from the start on this phone and it stopped working without any OS upgrade (not even a minor security update).

• I hope this thread blows up and Garmin pays the price. You said that it won't work with OnePlus phones yet it does sometimes. I read Garmin just doesn't care enough to resolve the problem with them. Why are OnePlus phones not listed in your incompatible phone list? Garmin needs to change their marketing. "Now with Google Assistant". (*May or may not work with your phone. We don't know. Try it and see.) I had a Venu and upgraded to the 2 plus just for this feature. Garmin should give refunds to people who bought this watch. Total BS 

• Hey  and everyone else. I found a post on the Google Assist forum that seems to have fixed this for me

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/235981899/google-voice-assistant-voice-is-not-audible?hl=en&sjid=14341212817193892111-NC

I uninstalled the Google updates on my phone and rebooted. Then I did have a Google update waiting for me. I updated. The watch now connects to Google Assist and works.

• I would be curious to hear if this *keeps* working.  The idea of a downgrade, which wipes the app data and cache and forces a re-setup, then update for this specific problem has been around before.  The general result was that it worked for a while, then stops working again.  Please let us know in a few days.  Thanks.

• Thanks AI P for digging a solution!

Found this comment from the link above and shared it here.

(I'll add to find the app Assistant and not Google.app. 

Google app is for search. Assistant is the voice assistant.  Remember to force stop, wipe, uninstall updates, restart phone, 

Also it didn't work for me.  If you see the play store, assistant recently bugged on many devices since the android L update.  Google might patch it because they'll lose people to apple. Btw venu 2plus works well on my iPad. )

###

>>Mark C M:

Your solution fixed it for me. I merely went to Settings > Apps > Google > 3-dots, then tapped "uninstsll all updates" and proceeded to set up the assistant again. The assistant's voice is back now and it is working perfectly. It was obviously the most recent update that hosed things... Etc.
    ###
    If anyone cares, here's the assistant support page from Google. They might update it when they figure it out. .<support.google.com/.../9795643