This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BF% is exactly 7% for months. which is WAY off, cant change it.

For a couple months now, the BF% is exactly 7% for me. When I weigh in on our other user it reads accurately.

I've tried reseting it.

Removing it from connect.

taking the batteries out.

reseting again.

NOTHING works.

Garmin support site is a black hole of never ending loops that get you nowhere.

It worked fine - changeing a little every time I weighed. But stayed consistently at where it should've been. I understand the whole BIA thing is not accurate but this is something funky with the software because it worked before.

Any ideas?
  • Check your "Activity Class" number in your Garmin Connect profile. If it is set over 8, 9 or 10, the BF percentage will be almost constant around 7%.

BR,
    Ricardo.
  • Same problem - exactly 7% body fat

Tried all of the above including changing activity class. Extremely frustrating, the scale is in effect useless. Where is the next upgrade??
  • I have the exact same problem. All the other metrics vary slightly from day to day, but the BF is always 7.0% never changing in the slightest no matter what activity class I've tried (it's currently set at 5).
  • You must sync scales before change in Activity Class takes any effect.

Also ensure you're weighting in without your socks or anything else on - measuring bio-impedance works only with bare feet.
  • You must sync scales before change in Activity Class takes any effect.

Also ensure you're weighting in without your socks or anything else on - measuring bio-impedance works only with bare feet.

I do measure bare foot and have synced multiple times, makes no difference.
  • Hi,
    any changes in this topic? Since over 1 year scale shows me always 7% of BF. I changed my activity level many times from 1 to 10 and nothing :(
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Check your "Activity Class" number in your Garmin Connect profile. If it is set over 8, 9 or 10, the BF percentage will be almost constant around 7%.

BR,
    Ricardo.

This isn't true. I'm at activity 8 or 9 (switch between 2) and I register at 14.3% BF. I don't think OP's problem has anything to do with that.

And for reference, this is a picture of how 14.3% BF looks like for this Garmin scale.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1735818713298149&l=355a6fcf93
  • Don't bother

I'd bet a case of beer on the fact that The body fat on the garmin scale is not based on measurements with electric impulses. It's based on calculations from your metrics and user settings - maybe with a vey small imput from the "measurements".

If there is any measuring going on, it's working so badly combined with Garmin's complete lack of support that it's 100% worthless. My scale does not even come close to my real stats (nor does my wife's).
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago

I would like to agree with you, considering the fact that with me on a weekly cyclic ketogenic diet (carbe binge only every Saturdays and then carb depletion all the way through the following Saturday), my body water percentage increases on the scale as the days progress into Saturdays. With my glycogen stores depleting toward Saturdays, my body water percentage SHOULD decrease due to ketosis and glycogen depletion (water following glucose and glycogen, the less glycogen stores, the more dehydrate the body is). Realistically, that should be the case, but this Garmin scale goes opposite of science.

So yeah, almost 100% sure this scale doesn't utilize bioelectrical impedance analysis to measure body fat. It claims it does, but I highly doubt it.
  • I've been saying the same for months... posted a few numbers in another thread. Basically, once I hit a certain weight (seems to be around 134lbs for me) my BF% stays at 7%... I was down to 125, BF% still 7%. BF dramatically ramps up above 134lbs. Activity level makes no difference. I don't really care what their manual or online specs say, I agree their "bio-electrical impedance" is suspect. Would love someone to do a tear down of this scale to see if there even has the electronics required to do those types of readings. I know I can stand on the scale in my bare feet or socks and still get similar readings.

The scale saves me a few seconds every morning since it updates my weight in Connect automatically. But I weigh myself on a "dumb" scale first, as sometimes the Garmin is off by as much as 2-3lbs.

I tell anyone who will listen... don't buy this thing!