This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BF% is exactly 7% for months. which is WAY off, cant change it.

For a couple months now, the BF% is exactly 7% for me. When I weigh in on our other user it reads accurately.

I've tried reseting it.

Removing it from connect.

taking the batteries out.

reseting again.

NOTHING works.

Garmin support site is a black hole of never ending loops that get you nowhere.

It worked fine - changeing a little every time I weighed. But stayed consistently at where it should've been. I understand the whole BIA thing is not accurate but this is something funky with the software because it worked before.

Any ideas?
  • My body fat % is fluctuating with weight, sometimes I weight before and after an activity (loosing mainly water) and the body fat % fluctuates... It's like the scale is using some sort of algorithm instead of taking a real measurement, considered how expensive the scale is I found it very disappointing.

Look at that graph, this is what happened changing from activity level 7 to 8 some times ago.... What is the right value???

• It's like the scale is using some sort of algorithm instead of taking a real measurement

That's exactly what it does. The issue you seem to have is completely different to what this thread is about.

What those of us with this issue are seeing is this. Note BF% drops to 6% when BMI hits 20.0 or lower.

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1411942.jpg
  • Does this issue persist? Considering buying this scale? Is the BF% at least accurate for non 'athletes', ie: larger/high BMI folk who are losing weight?
  • Yes it persists. It’s been going on for about y 18 months. I reckon it’s become a feature. Well done Garmin. Consistently broken. Consistently ignored.
  • Yes it persists. It’s been going on for about y 18 months. I reckon it’s become a feature. Well done Garmin. Consistently broken. Consistently ignored.

Thanks, will hold off buying this and look for something else. Come on Garmin, fix this thing!
  • I just bought one to compliment 5x+ and have the 7% issue and no matter what excercise level I set its remains.

Does anyone know the algorithm details ie how it’s calculating %?
  • That’s the point, isn’t it? There’s no evidence that the scale is doing what its marketed as doing: measuring body fat percentage. If it’s an algorithm, and indeed a non-functional algorithm, it is a rip off/miss-sale. It has never worked and this problem persists well into its second year in spite of and despite a (broken) promise every couple of months from Gardin that they are working on it. Shame.
  • I have the same problem. 7% seems to be either a floor, or some sort of plateau. When I gain a few pounds, it goes above 7%, but when I lose weight and get back to 7%, and then lose even more weight, it just stays flat at 7%. Frustrating!
  • I wish I had found this thread before purchasing this scale. Mine's also stuck on 7.0% BF every single time. I've tried updating my activity class, moving the scale around. BMI is around 20.6. WTF Garmin?!?!
  • In answer to the above question:

WTF Garmin?!?!

The answer seems to be that this is very far from a priority for Garmin. Won't be long before this issue has been festering for two years. The only reason why I have not thrown away my Garmin "smart" scale is that it saves me a few seconds in the morning when I weigh myself so I don't have to enter it manually. The the BF measurement is clearly BS and the rest of it seems somewhat suspect too. Caveat emptor!