This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SETUP ISSUE: Scale can pair, but timeout at connect to WiFi -- Kludge fix

I found setup of the Garmin scale to be a nightmare. I had no problem pairing the scale, but then the scale would timeout rather than connect to my home WiFi, so I could not complete the setup process.

Tech support was very patient and we tried: (1) an iOS phone; (2) an Android phone; (3) a Win 7 computer; and (4) a Win 10 computer. I have two different WiFi networks bridged together and it was the same for both routers. Finally, we tried removing the password from the router and that permitted me to complete setup.

Since the scale is now happily on my WiFi network, I probably can add the password back to the router, but would then have to disable the password again each time the scale needs to login to the network (e.g. after battery change or if the router lost power). Since that’s such a rare occurrence, this is not the worst kludge.

Just a head’s up in case anyone else runs into this and wants to save two hours on the phone with tech support!
  • I found setup of the Garmin scale to be a nightmare. I had no problem pairing the scale, but then the scale would timeout rather than connect to my home WiFi, so I could not complete the setup process.

Tech support was very patient and we tried: (1) an iOS phone; (2) an Android phone; (3) a Win 7 computer; and (4) a Win 10 computer. I have two different WiFi networks bridged together and it was the same for both routers. Finally, we tried removing the password from the router and that permitted me to complete setup.

Since the scale is now happily on my WiFi network, I probably can add the password back to the router, but would then have to disable the password again each time the scale needs to login to the network (e.g. after battery change or if the router lost power). Since that’s such a rare occurrence, this is not the worst kludge.

Just a head’s up in case anyone else runs into this and wants to save two hours on the phone with tech support!

Actually, I'm betting the scale re-connects to the router each time it's used, as it shuts down when not in use.
    I wonder if there is something funky with your password - special characters, or even something like a space that's not being handled somewhere. Maybe try using a really simple password and see if that works, then try a more complex one.
  • Good point. I was thinking it maintained the WiFi connection to avoid log-in delays and just the display powered down. I haven't put the password back on the router, but that would be an easy way to test the theory.

The first router password is just numbers and letters, nothing outside of normal alpha numeric characters. The second router password is eight numbers (low security, I know). Neither worked. My WiFi setup is pretty plain vanilla, except my second "router" is actually an access point. Since others are not having this problem, seems like it is something unique to my network.
  • Still having difficulties

For me I think my router was bad. I used a iPhone hotspot and it worked!
  • For me I think my router was bad. I used a iPhone hotspot and it worked!

Glad you got it working, but doesn't that mean it will only sync through your iPhone and not your network?
  • Did you guys get this fixed? I have the same issue (I think) - although it appears to be connected to wifi without an issue but at the end of the upload progress I get an "X" and nothing gets updated to GC.

E.g. >>>>>>>>>>> X
  • Did you guys get this fixed? I have the same issue (I think) - although it appears to be connected to wifi without an issue but at the end of the upload progress I get an "X" and nothing gets updated to GC.

E.g. >>>>>>>>>>> X

Yours is a different problem. What you SHOULD see is
    >>>>>>>>>>> BOB
    or whatever user is being weighted. So it seems like your issue is related to the user profile. Perhaps that info will help you diagnose further.
  • Similar wifi connection issue

Got a scale yesterday for Christmas and have spent too much of the holidays trying to get it connected. I gave up on the iPhone setup and used ant+ and a manual network setup to get as far as I have, thanks to all of your help in this forum. When I tap the scale now the "wrench" displays as the wifi icon pulses, it does this for 30 secs and the wifi signal appears to lock in at 3 bars, then an X appears in the far right hand corner (not next to the wifi icon) then the screen goes blank. No data is transferred to Garmin Connect. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Got a scale yesterday for Christmas and have spent too much of the holidays trying to get it connected. I gave up on the iPhone setup and used ant+ and a manual network setup to get as far as I have, thanks to all of your help in this forum. When I tap the scale now the "wrench" displays as the wifi icon pulses, it does this for 30 secs and the wifi signal appears to lock in at 3 bars, then an X appears in the far right hand corner (not next to the wifi icon) then the screen goes blank. No data is transferred to Garmin Connect. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This seems to be the behaviour I am experiencing as well. From the reading I have done it appears to be an issue with GC profile syncing. I tried to call Garmin support on the 24th but they were off for the holiday's (must be nice!). I am going to call again when I get back in to town. My thought would be to delete it from your GC profile and try re-pairing again. I have also read about myfitnesspal causing issues (I.e. GC profile getting weight from MFP) - I will let you know what I find when I get the chance to troubleshoot.
  • This seems to be the behaviour I am experiencing as well. From the reading I have done it appears to be an issue with GC profile syncing. I tried to call Garmin support on the 24th but they were off for the holiday's (must be nice!). I am going to call again when I get back in to town. My thought would be to delete it from your GC profile and try re-pairing again. I have also read about myfitnesspal causing issues (I.e. GC profile getting weight from MFP) - I will let you know what I find when I get the chance to troubleshoot.

Thanks, I'll try to give support a call also tomorrow but have got a pretty busy day and may not get a chance. Thinking it might be a long wait on hold the first day after the holiday!
  • I’ve spent waaaaay too much time with this thing. I have tried connections on 4 different Routers/APs and only successfully connected to wireless using no encryption. All other methods (WEP, WPA, WPA2) fail. Even with an open connection, the scale will stay connected for only 1 or 2 seconds and will fail to upload to my profile. I am a network engineer and have tested the wireless connectivity using a network analyzer and have watched the scale pass between 2 and 8 IP packets before dropping from the network. There is most definitely a problem with this unit! From all the posts I’ve seen others are having similar problems with wireless timeouts. I tried calling support but the automated message said that the wait time was 45 minute. I submitted an online warranty repair request. We’ll see…