This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

S2 Body Fat not accurate

• Consent to be added to an internal case - yes, I consent
  • Consent to access your Garmin Connect account (if needed) -  yes, I consent
  • What device/test are you comparing your Index readings to - Tanita Inner Ccan
  • What does your Index S2 display vs what does your reference device display -  S2 Fat = 17.1 Tanita =10.6
  • What is your activity class set to, and is this appropriate for your activity level - 8 - Yes
  • Please add me to the list as well.
    I switched from the Fitbit Aria to the Index S2 so all of my data would be saved under my Garmin profile. I still use my Aria because the body fat on the S2 is so widely off. The aria in my experience has been very close when compared to my DEXA scans, the index S2 is not even close. Hopefully no-one is trusting this data for medical reasons?

My question is when or if a fix is implemented, will it correct my previous entries from the S2 that are incorrect?

• If you can’t get your scales right then why don’t you let us add correct data to the app from other scales rather than locking us into your product which clearly doesn’t work if your body shape falls outside the normal bmi range or use other data like Bobby measurements to get a clearer picture. Neck and wrist circumference for instance. Can you give us more information on this update - release date and the changes being made - as I’m sure it’ll have a bearing on whether a lot of people will be returning their product or not? 

• Slow and no ETA is inexcusable when your continuing to promote and sell a product with a known major issue and no disclaimer.
    Without reliable/usable body comp data, we can all get $15 scales for weight and manually update our data. A huge Garmin fan historically, I now feel duped and ripped off. 

You need to do more than you’re doing. 

• As the other threads have been locked I’m adding on here my latest info. 42 year old male, 187 lbs most days, train 6 days a week cardio and resistance training. Set activity level at 10. Index S2 saying 17.5% BF (20% activity level below 8). Checked at private hospital this week using electrical impedance machine and BF 13.4% which is about right based on vascularity and ab visibility. Basically 20% exactly the same as BMI calculated BF% and index spitting out 17% on activity level 10 basically adjusting an arbitrary amount assuming I’m fitter than average. Hopefully garmin will do something but I think it will be difficult for a scale sending in impulse up one leg and down the other and using a BMI algorithm to be consistent in all scenarios 

• I would be happy with a couple of percent error, now as suggested by another user I lower my age by twenty years to get a more accurate BF, closer to  calliper measurement’s.

like weight, trending is what I care about.

• agreed, trending is the most important thing but i'm not sure these scales give that.

have you (or anyone else) actually seen consistent trending of body composition readings in line with known reality, other than directly related to weight change? eg hitting the gym and building lots of muscle so gaining weight but reducing body fat, or stopping exercise so converting muscle to fat but reducing eating so as not to gain weight.

• So no I don’t believe it does trend as such. I think it works on a basic BMI BF calculation and then uses age and activity level to adjust to an estimated BF%. Mine hasn’t then really shifted on the scales despite going from 20% BF measured on a dexa scan in December 2021 to 13% measured at a private hospital with a proper electrical impedance machine. At the end of the day it’s all visible in the mirror but it would be nice if the scales trended downwards even if not accurate but I don’t believe they even do that.

• thanks, that is what i suspected but i don't have the metrics to back it up.

it would be nice if the scales actually performed the function they are marketed for... all they seem to be is wifi scales which is a valid product but does not justify the high price

• Please keep me posted as I am in the sane situation.  From a Tanita to the Garmin (which went crazy and was eventually replaced by Garmin) to mine now which is reading a fairly high fat percentage which has not changed with 6 weeks of cutting and resistance training.  Funnily enough my bone density is dropping  along with my lean muscle mass (despite physical measurements increasing showing hypertrophy along with strength gains).

Garmin-please provide a better solution.

• That's the exact same situation that I'm in. I used to try and use the scale as a gauge to determine if I was gaining muscle, but I finally realized that it was pointless, because it only told me that I gained muscle when I ate way more than I needed to. I've recently been doing a "body recomposition" diet and even though my waist size has dropped and my strength has increased, somehow I've dropped a pound of muscle and my body fat % hasn't changed. It makes absolutely no sense.