This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

S2 Body Fat not accurate

• Consent to be added to an internal case - yes, I consent
  • Consent to access your Garmin Connect account (if needed) -  yes, I consent
  • What device/test are you comparing your Index readings to - Tanita Inner Ccan
  • What does your Index S2 display vs what does your reference device display -  S2 Fat = 17.1 Tanita =10.6
  • What is your activity class set to, and is this appropriate for your activity level - 8 - Yes
  • I realize this is posted already in several spots but given most of those threads are locked.  CLEARLY, there is an issue.  The sheer volume of complaints is overwhelming.  That said, I could not be more disappointed as a very long time loyal customer with Garmin.  I've bought at least a dozen+ devices and a huge advocate for these products.  To see the way this issue is being treat, or more clearly, NOT being addressed - Is so deflating as Garmin is probably my favorite brand and products.  In a world dominated by Apple and Google products, you got to be better than this Garmin.  

Please own the issue and provide some clear communications around a path to resolution.  You a very loyal fan base - all we are looking for is some sort of path to resolution.  

• I just set up my S2 Smart Scale and I’m unfortunately having the same issue. My BF% is 8-10% off. I have a recent caliper test and in-body scan to compare it to.  There’s got to be a simple solution to this issue. 

• This scale is wildly different readings. How are they this different? 

Previous scale had my under 10% body fat and 4.4 lbs lighter. This one has me at 22% body fat? Last scale matched weight from triple beam type so accuracy lined up. 4lbs isn't a big deal but 12% body fat difference is surprising 

• I just bought the same scale, I guess I should have check the forum before buying another poorly functioning product. 
    Is Garmin coming with earl fixes or just more blabla BS.
    my Fenix 5 has a real issue with live pace, not reliable enough to use racing. I complained about like hundreds of other customer, still no fix from the Garmin smart kids.

• We are aware of the issue and are committed to making improvements to address it.  Within the next quarter, we plan to release an update that will address inexplicable wide swings in body fat readings, however we are also planning long term improvements to further improve accuracy.  More specifically, we’ve been investing in additional R&D and are in the midst of a large scale study to collect data from a broad distribution of users.  This data will be used to reevaluate and improve our algorithms.  We are not currently in a position to provide a definitive timeline for the longer term improvements since the study is ongoing and improvements will require validation.  We recognize that many of our customers have been waiting for improvements and we are working urgently to deliver a solution.

• I just purchased an Index S2 and indeed it is not accurate at all the body fat numbers. I have a Tanita BT 1000 that syncs with my Forerunner 910 and while setting up the scale Garmin asks if the user is a lifetime athlete and that impacts the percentage and makes it accurate. I was quite disappointed to find out that the S2 does not have that option.

• Hi Kevin

Good to hear that there is actually something happening, however you're saying that 2 years after you released a supposedly new and improved product, you will be able to address one of its fundamental faiings, for some people. meanwhile, the large numbers of people like me for whom it consistently reports rubbish results still have no resolution in sight. that's not really a great situation.

meanwhile, my scales have been failing to do the one thing they have over the cheapest of scales - upload data to garmin connect. my forerunner 955 battery is giving well sub-par life and garmin have been unable to do anything about issues i've had with my edge 530. it really does seem that the solution to these scales is to drop the garmin ecosystem entirely and hence be able to use one of the actual working body composition scales that will upload to other platforms.

•  thanks for the answer. But i, like many other users here have an open ticket since 2021/09/23( you sent me an email and nobody has told me it's closed). I posted here a comparative between other scales and this one more than a year ago 04/2021.(as you see I cannot return my scale after waiting for a solution) I have been using Garmin ecosystem for ages and It seems, due to Garmin product release plan, near an index scale 3 than a fix for index 2. So I just ask you for a real solution after so many months changing my age before going onto the scale, taking a measurement and changing again it back to get a min accurate %bf that not impacts in the other parameters related to this.

• garmin does use an activity level setting (in your user profile) to theoretically take that into account. if you are a lean athlete check that yours is set near the upper end of the range. for many of us though, that still results in wildly inaccurate body composition results, not to mention one has to question the value of scales that claim to measure body composition but need to be told that you are lean and still don't get it close to right

• Thanks for the reply.
    Do you plan to replace the scales, or 50% type discounts?
    We've already paid once for a product that doesn't do what it's advertised to do.
    Are you working on such a solution for customers?