This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body Fat% is a way off PART2

as the other thread is closed by 

It can't be that the same fat value is always displayed, it can't be normal, all other values ​​change, the fat value is always 7 for every measurement, regardless of which activity class you choose?

Garmin's explanations cannot explain it in that way!

Top Replies

All Replies

• I contacted them via email. Unlike the rather evasive responses we get from Garmin on this forum, the email corresponder from Garmin at least acknowledged the issue. I think we will just have to wait and see what solution they'll come up with. Here's their email response:

>>> 

thanks for getting back to us.

After internal consultation I can tell you that we have received some reports of some kind of the same issue you described. The relevant departments in the USA have already been informed about this. Our co-workers are checking the problem and working on a possible solution. 

We would like to ask you for a little patience until its done. 

Unfortunately at this time it is not possible to tell when and in what kind of outcome the solution will be available. 

Right now we assume that changing the device wont help at all. But of course if you would like to send your Garmin device back for an exchange we will create an order for you. 

We are looking forward to your answer. 

Best regards 

>>>

Well, I am happy that they acknowledge the issue and don't mind waiting for a firmware update.

• I just bought this scale and came here to check on this very issue. I've been monitoring my bodyfat for 20 years and all devices I use are within .x percentage points of each other. This one is 9% points off! So, this thing is going back if it does not calibrate itself better in the coming week.

• I just received my Garmin Index S2.

It reports 26.1% body fat.  My Withings reports 9.8%.  I was dunked recently and my body fat is 9.5%, very close to the Withings.  I am 5' 11" and weigh 171 with 31" waist.  If my body fat truly was what the scale reports, I would roll around rather than walk upright.  It is definitely faulty.

This is a critical metric for me as my body fat tends to go below 5% when I train very hard - I can't get dunked every week.

Please tell me when this will be fixed so that I can test it again.  I have a month to return it and will if this can't be resolved promptly.

I also purchased your Fenix 6 Sapphire and chest strap at the same time.  My intent is to stay in the Garmin infrastructure but if the scale doesn't report correctly, I'll have to find another option unfortunately.  I have a month to return the Fenix and chest strap as well.

I appreciate your prompt cooperation.

Thank you.

• Like many of the other users in this thread, my S2 is off substantially from both a Dexa as well as my previous index scale. Dexa has me at 19.8%, my original Index recorded me around 22-23.5% and from the day I set it up, the new scale calculates me as >34% body fat. I happy to turn over any data and the scale to Garmin: I'd just like to have a fairly accurate/reliable piece of equipment (without the insinuation that I don't know how to properly use a scale)

• My old index shower about 15%. My new index 2 show about 22%. It can not be possible to gain 7% over night. Activity level 7 ( 8 if I count bike to and from job ). Which is totalt of. Or is both one incorrect. 

• Same problem.  Renpho consistently shows 14.1 and garmin shows 22.4.

• Got the new scale yesterday, same problem wrong readings.  So it is the firmware!!!!!!!

• Replacement scale, same problem.  I contacted Garmin through their CHAT link and the representative just cut me off when I described the problem.  I'm pretty disappointed in Garmin's response to this issue... or LACK of response.

• Same thing happened to me and needed to call and it took several calls too!!!!

• Just got my S2 and was using the old version before. My body fat went from 17.7 to 28.3 on the S2 in one day. It’s clearly off and wrong like so many have already said.