This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Radar Disconnected"

During a ride the radar disconnects by itself sometimes up to once an hour. I have to turn off the RTL510 and on again to reconnect

Any ideas?

Garmin edge 1030 is my bike computer
  • I have the same problem where the RTL510 seems to crash when faced with high traffic density. Radar disconnects from the Edge 1030 and won't reconnect unless the RTL510 is power cycled. Garmin online support was unhelpful and just wanted me to delete all of my settings off the Edge 1030. Perhaps others can make more progress in alerting Garmin to this firmware issue.
  • I've been using the RTL510 with my Edge Explore. The RTL510 has never disconnected from the Edge Explore, even with high volumes of traffic. Sounds like a software problem with the Edge 1030.
  • RTL510 seems to crash when faced with high traffic density.

I think you’ve spotted the reason really well. After having upgraded to 3.50, I’ve seen this on every ride - when a heavy truck is passing by really close, my RTL510 disconnects from 1030 (7.20) and won’t reconnect until power cycled. Haven’t seen it happening previously and I don’t think that the head unit is to blame.
  • Having the same problem.  I have a RLT 510 linked to a Edge 820.  It worked fine for several months but lately the connection keeps breaking.  The 510 is fully charged but the blue flashing light stops and my Edge says the radar is disconnected.  The radar icon flashes red on my edge.  If I turn the 510 back on it reconnects but eventually loses connection.  It apprears that the RTL 510 is shutting down for no reason.

• I too recently started getting these disconnects after many months of flawless performance. I suspected the 820 firmware so I rolled back to v10.00 and the disconnects are gone. I think Garmin have screwed this with recent firmware updates to their head units.

• I have had this issue with 520+ and RTL510 once and deduced it was due to heavy traffic.  In my case I was next to a passing freight train at an angle where the radar could "see" the train.

• We are looking into this problem and I will provide an update when I have additional information. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• I had the same problem with the Varia disconnected repeatedly from my 520 & FR935. I attributed it to my 520, since it constantly dropped connections from every ANT+ sensor that I have.

But while on a 110-mile rode last month, my Varia battery died because I didn't recharge it. The light came back on briefly, then shut off. When I got home, it was completely depleted. I recharged it, which took a lot longer than usual, something like twelve or more hours. Since then, it has not disconnected at all. Worked with my 520 & 935 at the same time, and now works fine with my 530, 935 or both.

• Hi Matthew, I have three head units and they all suffer from this problem. I rarely have high density traffic so can't comment if that is causal to the problem but what I think is happening is that the systems are looking for new sensors, finding the RTL or head light and then trying to establish a light network which then disconnects the radar function... this happens every few minutes now... this is a newer problem within the last 6 months and I suspect either the firmware in the head units has changed or how the devices are searching for sensors or how the light networks are being built.   But that said, while I do not soley rely on the RTL for my safety, knowing how many cars are coming up behind me is a clear enhancement and getting this fixed asap would be helplful.