This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Radar Disconnected"

During a ride the radar disconnects by itself sometimes up to once an hour. I have to turn off the RTL510 and on again to reconnect

Any ideas?

Garmin edge 1030 is my bike computer
  • I thought of that but didnt want to open up the device since it was still under warranty.
    Otherwise,  the device is spotless as I clean my stuff quite often.

• And what about an update to resolve the disconnections which many of us experience?

• I do not think the disconnections are just Radar specific. What Edge do you have? What software version is on that Edge and what software version is on your RTL 510?

• Hi,

I have no Edge,just my Forerunner 945 and a Wahoo Elemnt Roam.Newest Firmware on my RTL 511.Disconnects started maybe 8 months ago,never had them before.I also have the impression that rough surfaces lead to disconnects on my racebike

• I have same problems - started about a month ago.  I seem to get a disconnect after riding for 1 to 1.5 hours to all sensors (powermeter, cadence, heart, Varia RTL510.  Edge 520 computer recovers all sensor connections BUT Varia connection within 15-20 seconds.  This seems to happen around the same time frame each time.  

Only way to restore the connection for me to Varia is to power down the Edge 520 and power it back up.  I did that today; it reconnect and after another 1 - 1.5 hours it dropped all sensors again; 15-20 seconds later it reconnected all BUT Varia.

Edge 520 is running latest software (13.0) and so is Varia.  Looking for advise.  FYI: I am going to try today to format my Edge to factory and see if it happens again.

• Hm,

I did clean the button. That did not solve the problem completly but it is better now. Pressing the button does not feel normal. It is a little soft, so it might be a hardware problem.

Does pressing the button feel normal for you?

• That's what was so weird. The button would feel normal when I first powered it on but when it would start misbehaving the button physically felt and acted differently. 

• SOLVED (for me)

SOLUTION: for me - Edge device needed a good format of the memory PLUS master rest

HOW: source: https://gilbertocortez.com/cycling/technology/how-to-format-and-master-reset-your-garmin-edge 

Here are instruction on how to  format a Garmin Edge Computer:

Please Note: The process for formatting the Edge 510 is intended for PC only. It is not recommended to format this device using a Mac.

1. Connect Edge to a PC*
    2. Right-click on device as it appears as a drive
    3. Select Format…
    4. Ensure File System is set to FAT32
    5. Ensure Volume Label is set to Garmin
    6. Select Start

The formatting process may take a couple of minutes to complete. This process will remove any corrupt memory files, allowing for the Edge to power up past the splash screen. Now perform the master reset.

To perform a master reset:
    1. Power device off.
    2. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop.
    3. Power device on while still holding both buttons.
    4. Continue holding buttons when Garmin “splash” screen appears.
    5. Release buttons when Garmin “splash” screen disappears.

Hope that this helps you, and makes your day a little bit easier. If it does not work try giving Garmin a call, they are great at helping you out.

NOTE: I UNSELECTED QUICK FORMAT - gave it a good all fashion format - TOOK MINUTES

My original post:

I have same problems - started about a month ago.  I seem to get a disconnect after riding for 1 to 1.5 hours to all sensors (powermeter, cadence, heart, Varia RTL510.  Edge 520 computer recovers all sensor connections BUT Varia connection within 15-20 seconds.  This seems to happen around the same time frame each time.  

Only way to restore the connection for me to Varia is to power down the Edge 520 and power it back up.  I did that today; it reconnect and after another 1 - 1.5 hours it dropped all sensors again; 15-20 seconds later it reconnected all BUT Varia.

Edge 520 is running latest software (13.0) and so is Varia.  Looking for advise.  FYI: I am going to try today to format my Edge to factory and see if it happens again.

Since completing the format and master reset I have done many rides of 1, 2, 3, 4 hour durations multiple times and have not experienced a radar disconnect!

Side note: I read somewhere (can't find where) that Edge computers do need memory formats as they can experience software / memory upgrades as times goes on and new software is found.  Someone cited; just format your Edge at the end or beginning of your season.  

Anyways - works for me! 

• This didn't help at all in my case. After wasting an hour or so to set it up all again, radar started disconnecting after about 30 minutes into a ride and then randomly during the ride. Just like before.

I never had a problem with other sensors, just the Varia radar. And it didn't to that from the beginning.

• Exactly the same issue with me.....