This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Radar Disconnected"

During a ride the radar disconnects by itself sometimes up to once an hour. I have to turn off the RTL510 and on again to reconnect

Any ideas?

Garmin edge 1030 is my bike computer
  • Same here, been using for over a year without issue and now disconnects every ride.

• Same problem for me, except it happens every 30s : radar disconnect/reconnect. It is beeping constantly.  Really annoying. My vendor changed the varia but it seems to be a compatibility problem with the edge 530, as the problem is still there. All other sensors work just fine. I am really upset with garmin stuff(also bought the scale, huge piece of junk with funny fat measurement constant at 7% for 3 years). I think it looks like firmware problem and support is doing nothing to solve the problem. 

• Same problem for two units that I own. Both use Garmin Edge 530 head units with the RTL510 setup for radar and light network. We were riding in complete barren farm land and the radar and light network kept disconnecting every few minutes to every 20 seconds for almost 70 miles. This proves high traffic density has nothing to do with the issue as suggested by others in this thread. This issue is somewhat new (perhaps the last month or so). I'm extremely disappointed with Garmin and their poor software validation when they push updates.

As a side, I'm having similar (but less frequent) disconnects for my Di2 and Garmin speed sensor. Again, all started within the last month or so.

• All,

Since the above was completed zero problems till today. I would say it worked for 80 hours over last few months.  Rides were an hour to 4 hours long.  Today it buggered out. 

I’m doing the above AGAIN, will not load any IQ data fields or update the base maps and see what happens.  

Fingers crossed!

-Peter

• Finally! Here's what solved the problem in my case:

1. Re-Installed the latest (although it was already on the latest) firmware for the RTL510 since Garmin Express kept nagging me about it for some reason. Ejected the device using GE before pulling the USB cable before switching it off.

2. I noticed a few sensors on the Edge 830 were connected using BLE even though they're ANT+ compatible as well. Removed all BLE sensors on the Edge and repaired them using ANT+. There are no sensors paired over BLE now.

No more drop outs!

• Edge 1030 ver. 10.0.0.0   Brand new RTL510 ver. 3.70  ... 1030 reported radar disconnecting and reconnecting five times in rapid succession after about 40 minutes into my ride.  Not surprised at all.  Prior, rectangular shaped Garmin radar would disconnect randomly too, particularly when I would ride with another bicyclist using their own radar. Unamused  [LOTS of bugs on the 1030.  For instance, don't even get me going on LiveTrack.  I just use Strava Beacon for that since it actually works.]

• My RTL510 seems to disconnects from my Edge 830 always i already experienced it every ride.. it usually disconnects twice during an active ride but reconnects immediately, what seems to be the issue here?

Edge 830- V6.00

RTL 510- V3.70

• As you are aware there have been a number disconnections mentioned on the forum. I believe i may be able to point you in the way of resolving this but obviously it would be great if Garmin could amend the upgrade process to eradicate the issue.

I have an 830 and a 1030+.

I never had this issue until the latest version of the software on the 830. Also when I bought my 1030+ it paired and worked ok (v2.3). My problems started when it auto upgraded to version 3.0.

In addition to this when the software searched for my power sensor it saw it and loaded it up but when you looked in the sensor panel it changed it to speed/cadence sensor.  No power recorded

After a lot of analyses I concluded that upon upgrade the service corrupted some files.  As a result I down graded my 1030+ to beta 2.42.  Tested my sensors and Varia 510. for 4 hours of riding. Never missed a beat.

I then upgraded to v3.0 by manually downloading and unpacking the zip file, copied to garmin directory on the edge and upgraded that way.

Tested the sensor connection and radar activity over 4 hours riding.  Never missed a beat.

To say I am pleased is an understatement as having your Edge freeze mid ride is a disaster as it messes all stats which we come to rely on.

I am positive therefore that Garmin need to do a checksum on the unpacked files to ensure they have been installed correctly at the time of upgrade.  This simple addition to the process would only take a few seconds but would eradicate a number of software issues seen on the forum.  

Failure of a file checksum would lead to to rewriting the file.  This would ensure issues seen were NOT a software issue.

• 2 years later and you still haven't provided a solution. I got the Varia 516 and have paired it with the Edge 830 - it disconnections after anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes and still have full battery :( 

Is there a Beta software we can try - it seems like a bad idea having to downgrade instead of upgrade...I work as an IT supporter so I would not mind beta testing to try and find a fix ... or if you have a step by step guide to downgrade and do what Mrbruns did 4 months ago, that would work to...