This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Radar Disconnected"

During a ride the radar disconnects by itself sometimes up to once an hour. I have to turn off the RTL510 and on again to reconnect

Any ideas?

Garmin edge 1030 is my bike computer
  • What is the SW ??   I have been seeing this disconnection problems for several months.. . 

• Me too,would be nice if Garmin brought an update to get rid of the disconnection problems!

• I've been using the Garmin Varia radar for nearly a year now with my 520+ and all of the sudden it has started disconnecting during a ride multiple times. It sounds crazy but the common theme seems to be bumps or rough pavement that vibrates the bike. 

The thing is, I ride the same roads most all the time and it has become increasingly worse all the sudden. I've learned to rely on this thing for safety so it is extremely inconvenient. 

• After another ride with many disconnects yesterday I am convinced that something has drastically changed with my radar light. It is clear that bumps cause the disconnects and even causes one of the 3 lights modes to change as if you were pushing the button. 

I've also noticed that turning the light off after a ride has changed. Sounds crazy but it's more difficult to find the sweet spot to get it to turn off.

• I have the same problem, using Varia RTL 510 and Fenix 6x sapphire. It worked well for the two first weeks, now real nightmare. I’ve updated sw on both and no improvement but rather getting worse. Difficult to find when it turns on and off,  connects and disconnects randomly, sometimes just keeps on signaling in a row one by one no existing cars, no more confirmation on the screen of Fenix when I disconnect Varia at the end of ride. For 200 $ device really sad and CRITICAL PROBLEM...instead of improving security it’s distracting with malfunctioning and bringing more danger ....any solution dear Garmin? 

• Such a bummer!  It worked like a charm until recently.

• Hi aclass,

you're not alone. I habe exactly the same problems with my RTL 510. It startet about 3 months ago.

- Sudden disconnections especially on bumps

- Problems to shut the device off. Sometimes it switches on automatically after I've switched it off.

I'm so glad to here that I'm not alone.

• Your explanation is EXACTLY what I'm all of the sudden experiencing. 
    Does Garmin monitor these forums?  does anyone know??

My thoughts sounded so crazy that I was reluctant to share but the issue is clearly obvious and it is even more evident when you try to turn the darn thing off.

If an update indeed broke it then surely it can be repaired...    C'mon Garmin!!  I have subconsciously became reliant on this thing for safety!!

• As I said earlier in this thread, I got my original, problematic Varia replaced under warranty by Garmin UK, and the replacement unit has been working perfectly for many months now. Sometimes it's just the hardware that's at fault so give Garmin support a call and take it from there.

• I spoke with Garmin support this morning and they suggest the issue is with my 520+ as opposed to the radar unit and recommended that I try these steps.   I've done them and will report back after the rain is gone and I can ride. Especially since I'm a sissy rider and dont ride in the rain.

Windows 7/10:

1. Open Garmin Express
    2. Sync device with Garmin Express
    3. Select Startup(Windows icon)
    4. Click Computer/File Explorer
    5. Look for Devices with Removable Storage/ Locate Garmin Drive
    6. Click on Garmin Device
    7. Click Garmin Folder
    8. Delete the Sub-folders:
    • Activity
    • Apps
    • Courses