This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any one else having lots of drop outs?

I have had my Garmin RS200 and my Garmin 830 for about a month now. Sending structured work outs from Training Peaks via Garmin Connect to the 830 and using it to control my 2016 WaHoo KICKR. I can also use Rouvy on my IPAD to control the trainer and then just record the Rally metrics on the 830.

The first few weeks, everything looked perfect in GC. Last week I started noticing a few power and cadence drop outs each ride and it continues to get worse every ride.

Here is today's workout

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6752400906

Not sure what to try. I get the drop outs if I use Rouvy or the 830 to control the work out. I recorded a short workout today on my  FR945 and it shows the same drop outs too.

It seems that may have coincided with the FR945 beta firmware I installed, but not sure, I will leave my 945 off and a long ways away for my next workout. Not sure if the 945 could cause this or not?

I will submit a ticket, but any suggestions on things to try would be appreciated.

• The Forerunners are also all set to have Cycling Dynamics on as well as TE/PS, so the Edge would also need to match that. The Edge units by default to having Cycling Dynamics on and TE/PS off.

• Thanks, I fixed up my reply wrt the CD setting.

• Hello, I use Polar M460, it has no cycling dynamics etc. but the problem still exists. I wrote to Garmin and the bike shop about the complaint. both offered me to return the pedals. I have now done this at the bike shop because I only have the pedals for 2 months. wait and see what happens.

• Hello, got a new Replacement Pair today from Garmin. They had the same Problem. every 3:10 Min drop out for 1 sec.

•  . . . Same here.  I am on the third set which I believe were reconditioned and they are by far the worst.  not quite as bad when installed on my Trek MTB, but still more that a several drops to zero with rides on a complete climb route - no coasting.  I certainly expect variations, drop drops to zero for up to more than 10 seconds Zooming in on the power/cadence drops reveals that the cycling dynamics are ALL dropping off at the same time as power.  Not a lot of troubleshooting or help outside of replacement. Here is an example:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6752400906

Would really like to get to the bottom of this.  A bit tired of the no answers emails - just " will let the team know" when I send info

• Another Theorie, because i got a new Pair Rally of guarantee from my dealer, which hat the same behavior. Powermeter pedals are high-precision measuring instruments which are connected to devices via bluetooth. how often does a cell phone lose GPS, data or Bluetooth? Every now and then my watch loses the signal to the chest strap or loses GPS signal. I don't think it's the pedals, it's the equipment. who knows what some cheap BT or Ant+ modules are built into.

So I ask myself whether these failures affect my training? No, actually not.

• Having no issues with Edge1030+ and Zwift, both connected via ANT+. My theory is that BLE is not implemented correctly on Rally or the whole BLE protocol is just unreliable junk.

• Usually, when you have dropouts that are exactly the same time (or multiples of that time) apart, the problem has to do with a second device whose operation is periodically wiping out the power meter's transmissions. In your case, the dropouts appear to be happening exactly 60 seconds apart for an extended period of time, which is not a common occurrence.

Are you using BLE or ANT+? The pedals will support up to two BLE devices connected to your pedals, in addition to its ANT+ broadcast. The ANT+ broadcast can support any number of listeners, but as I cautioned in an earlier post in this thread, it is important to ensure that all your listening devices have the same settings expectations with respect to the pedals, otherwise they will send conflicting commands to the pedals. These conflicting commands can also cause behaviour similar to what you are seeing.

If you are using multiple devices, then the first thing to try is to un-pair all but one of your listening devices and see if the problem persists. This includes un-pairing your pedals from Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone if you happen to have that set up.

• I notice the speed data in 's activity also has dropouts, and they're at different times from the cadence and power dropouts. That's a bit worrying because speed is one of the most basic sensors to "get right". It may be completely unrelated, but it makes me wonder if there's an issue with the head unit (Edge 830) itself, or at least the sensor connections to it in general. I note the heartrate doesn't appear to have dropouts. Maybe it's an issue with the connection method (BT/BLE vs ANT+), reception, interference, competing connections, etc., like @t_smit suggested.

• I connected to pedals ONLY to fenix 6x pro - I did not pair them with my phone BLE overtly and they do not show in the connection list. - - So I'm thinking the only connection is ANT+ thru the fenix.  The only other sensor is polar H10 which is paired and connected to the bike.  I have no other device listening

SORRY  .. .  I just realized the link was from the first post and not my workout. I'm pretty new to this - -- must have kept his link in the buffer.

Here is the correct link:

connect.garmin.com/.../8176361157