This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any one else having lots of drop outs?

I have had my Garmin RS200 and my Garmin 830 for about a month now. Sending structured work outs from Training Peaks via Garmin Connect to the 830 and using it to control my 2016 WaHoo KICKR. I can also use Rouvy on my IPAD to control the trainer and then just record the Rally metrics on the 830.

The first few weeks, everything looked perfect in GC. Last week I started noticing a few power and cadence drop outs each ride and it continues to get worse every ride.

Here is today's workout

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6752400906

Not sure what to try. I get the drop outs if I use Rouvy or the 830 to control the work out. I recorded a short workout today on my  FR945 and it shows the same drop outs too.

It seems that may have coincided with the FR945 beta firmware I installed, but not sure, I will leave my 945 off and a long ways away for my next workout. Not sure if the 945 could cause this or not?

I will submit a ticket, but any suggestions on things to try would be appreciated.

• Not a single drop out so far. Fingers crossed. I am actually very pleased with the performance of those devices.

•  Are you pairing to your 830 using ANT+ or BT? It looks like you are paired via ANT because of your cycling dynamics, but I wanted to ask to confirm your other rides. 

I would recommend deleting them from your Edge and then pairing them again by ANT as if they were new, then making sure to calibrate before your next ride. 

If you are still seeing dropouts, we would of course want to hear back on this, and I would be interested to see if this was happening outdoors as well. It of course shouldn't be happening anywhere, but knowing the environment it happens in is helpful as well. 

• Hi Blake,

Paired using Ant+. I haven't done any outdoor rides yet but planning to this weekend. I am working with Garmin Support and following their protocol so for now will hold off removing and repairing them.

• Yes please, do not let me interrupt any ongoing work you are doing with our Support team. It's best to not cross wires if you're in the middle of that process. 

• I am also experiencing dropouts. My cadence stays but power will go to 0 for a split second and then return. I've noticed that if I'm watching the cycling dynamic page the right pedal will report zero information. 

I'm working with Garmin support on it aswell, they have stated they would like the pedals back and are offering either to send and wait for the replacement set, or I can pay a $400 deposit and get my replacement set first.

• Well, I am very frustrated with Garmin Support. I have followed all their suggestions and provided all the information they have asked for. The dropouts continue. Support is telling me it is "some kind of signal interference" and there is nothing they can do about it.

This does not explain why the power reading were perfect for the first 3 weeks of indoor rides. Nothing has changed in my home with regards to RF products and devices. When I use my Ipad and Rouvy to control the workouts, I do not see any dropouts in the Rouvy records, only in the Garmin records.

I have removed and reconnected the Rally's with the Edge 830 with no impact on the dropouts (as suggested by Blake)

I have done a few outdoor rides but I think its almost impossible to tell if there are dropouts due to the nature of outdoor/group rides with many instances of not pedalling/coasting.

• received replacement pedals, same problem. Garmin Support is SLOW to respond. Frustrating to have this kind of issue and support on a $1200 set of pedals.

• Same here. Dropouts started a couple of weeks ago after a couple of months of flawless functioning. 

• I am experiencing the same issue intermittently on my Rally XC200s. I have not narrowed down the conditions but I've seen it on TrainerRoad via BLE and Garmin Connect (Edge 1030 connected via Ant+). I am still sifting through the specific instances but it started about 2-weeks ago. My first week or so was flawless.

• I have been using Rally RK200 for less than two weeks, Garmin have agreed to replace them due to their defective performance. A consistent power balance of Left 55% Right 45% due to disconnects and dropouts. Quite clearly seen on the Left/Right graph, the pedals have even stopped recording any data for 2 or 3 minutes during a ride, only to start recording agree presumably after some kind of re-set. These are supposedly the result of extensive testing but I don't really believe that, the problems are unfortunately exactly the same as what I experienced with 3, yes 3 pairs of Vector 3 pedals, all replaced by Garmin. The last repalcement they gave me a pair of Rally, I had high hopes, but they were dashed after the first ride, it was so obvious that they were also defective. So will wait and see what happens with the 2nd pair of Rally pedals. On a final note, probably the most disappointing aspect is that despite all these replacements not ONE person at Garmin has said sorry or apologised for the poor performance of their products - absolutely amazing! If you are thinking about buying some Rally pedals, I would say keep your money in your pocket for now, or look at some other product. PS I also recently had to get my Edge 1030 replaced due to the defective screen "blue halo" affect again not a word of apology! Best wishes everyone. Stay safe. 

Update - 11/08/2021 - Garmin have agreed to replace the 2nd pair of Rally pedals, also defective, exactly same issue as all the previous 4 pairs, including the Vector 3s. So much for the extensive testing of the new Rally pedals. I did ask about a refund but Garmin did not entertain this idea - they will continue to replace under warranty - plus they will not give a guarantee that the next pair will be any better. Very disappointing for what in the UK is a £1,000+, premium product. Just to repeat this will be pair number 6.