This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

error installing map update

Hi,

my Edge 830 in on version 9.73

Multiple times I tried to install the "Routable Cycle Map of AU and NZ 2022.0"

Every time I get the error: "There was an error installing the update"

What I have done so far:

1. Check storage available on device. It has 10GB available; means storage is not the issue

1. remove device from Garmin Express and re-connect subsequently

2. re-install Garmin Express

3. delete all *.img, *.gma, *.unl except gmaptz.img from the Garmin directory of the device

Despite the effort, I still get the error message.

What can I do to install the map update? Is there a workaround or a fix?

thanks

Norbert

• I’m seeing the same issue with a 530 too. I’ve contacted support about it and awaiting a response. I’d suggest you do the same.

If you have a backup copy of the earlier map version you can manually install it, otherwise use open source maps.

• Exactly the same issue here. Have tried the exact same things. Looking for a solution from Garmin - no avail.

Can someone suggest a working solution please, or Garmin to provide a fix?

N.

• I'm in the UK and when I tried to install the update it failed, it was because I had not enough space on my C: drive to download the update which was listed as 22 gb. Sadly Garmin express does not give an option to download to another drive so it makes it a big issue.

Anyway, it appears the update was "pulled" shortly after in the UK I believe as the option to update has never popped up again.

• Update: Garmin have fixed the issue. Express reported a different size download today and Aus/NZ Routable Map 2022.20 now installs correctly.

• Issue NOT fixed on 830.resolved on 1030. Still get error on 830

• My first download installed “Garmin Geocode Map Aus/NZ 2022.10” and a second download attempt gave an error.

The gmapprom.img file that was installed was a lot smaller (94MB) than the correct map file (approx 805MB). If that’s what you’ve got, try deleting it and retry the download.

Alternatively try copying the file from the 1030 to the 830.

• Agree - tried this morning, still not resolved for Edge 830.

• This is interesting! I thought it was just me. I tried to update my maps on my 830 (9.73) and got the same error. I got around it eventually by deleting those files

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=cTdkBfhsfL13jb6cyPuRK9&productID=621232&searchQuery=not%20enough%20space&tab=topics

However once the map updated, the map features don't work at all. No street names, can't search for cities, I just get heaps of errors when trying to do anything map/routing related.

With further investigation I compared some backups I had done with my 830 over the years and found that the "gmapprom" file in my Garmin root folder was very small compared to every backup I had made.

94,044KB vs 749,808KB

So I replaced the one on my 830 with an older larger "gmapprom" file from an old backup and it worked! (It is the older AUS/NZ 2021.10 though, so not the new 2022.10) Disappointed

I have contacted Garmin support without much luck in resolving this. Hopefully they can soon.

• That’s almost exactly what I did earlier with a 530, but then reconnected to Express and the map then updated correctly. Last week it had been indicating that the download was 1.92GB, but yesterday it was indicating 1.82GB.

• Interesting. It is defintely the 2022.10 version? And if you go on your device to "navigation" -->"search for cities", no errors come up?