This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rerouting doesn't work

I have an 830.  The rerouting is terrible/useless.

Why can't this be fixed?  It even works far better on old software I have on my Garmin 64 and every other GPS I have ever owned?

Now as soon as you miss a turn or something it keeps telling you to make a uturn.  Seriously?  Why can't I select the no uturn option for cycling?

In any event it keeps telling me to make a uturn for miles. I am not far closer to my destination and a simple reroute would correct this and put the course back on track, but it doesn't work that way.

Why is this so hard to fix?  Normally on a ride, I may skip a turn intending to kind of take a slightly different way and on other GPS's it will reroute me with something that makes sense.

• That, obviously, is not a fix for the 830. What is your source of "Garmin has decided" or is this just your suspicion?

• When the 1030+ came out it had several features that the 830 & 530 didn't have.  Garmin stated that some of these new features would be ported to the 830 & 530.  The re-routing changes were not one of them.  See the DC Rainmaker review of the 1030+.

• Did some testing on my latest bikepack trip.

I found that after 1, 2 or max 3 times not u-turning it wil plan you a new (shortest) route to your original route … just like a regular gps (car) system. 

Just keep pedalling and ignore the u-turn prompts.

A setting where we could pick u-turning YES/NO would be great. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to DRIES

In some situations the Edge shows only a few u-turn prompts but mostly more than these before recalculating the route to the original track. But really annoying is that always without exception the Edge wants me to turn to the direction where I left the track when approaching the original track . That's not the way my car system works.

There is no improvement after the update to 8.63 beta.

• As the new beta release note make no mention of routing it is no surprise there is no change in how it works.

Garmin improved the routing for the 1030 plus but have never stated they were going to port those improvements to any other unit and so far they haven't.  I wish they would have as I would like those improvership on my 830.

It seems like if you want improved routing Garmin want you to buy a newer unit.  I would suspect all future Edge releases will have the improved routing of the 1030 plus.

• The 'fix' most are employing around here in NJ is the Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I'm holding off hoping for the eventual addition of the 1030 plus reroute algorithm.

• If Garmin would be willing, it would be very easy for them to add the rerouting properties of the 1030 plus to the 830 via fw update. But Garmin is not willing (so far - and unfortunately I don't count on it anymore). To be honest, I don't understand why Garmin withholds this simple functionality from us.

I painfully remember the doubled elevation plot issue on the Fenix 5/6 series- me and some other users fought for getting rid of this issue and > 2 years later, Garmin has finally heard us and fixed it...

You could certainly argue now whether the rerouting with the 830 is faulty or whether it just works poorly / minimalist, but still: could easily be fixed!

And Garmin should listen to customers in this case. Just my 2 cents...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to Wongataa

If Garmin wants me to buy a new device they can have it. I consider to buy a Wahoo Elemnt.

• The re routing on the 830 works the same as previous Edge units with navigation so I don't think you can call it faulty.  As I have used previous models I am familiar with it.  It is best to not use.  It would be been nice if Garmin would back port the navigation improvements of the 1030+ to the 830 (as they did for some other features) but for some reason they have decided not to. I'm sure they have their reasons but they won't publicise them.  Maybe they think people with 830/530 units will live with the re routing functionality (which they will be used to if they have had previous models) and will be OK with only getting the improvements when they eventually replace their units with newer models?

• That`s why I wrote:

You could certainly argue now whether the rerouting with the 830 is faulty or whether it just works poorly / minimalis