This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rerouting doesn't work

I have an 830.  The rerouting is terrible/useless.

Why can't this be fixed?  It even works far better on old software I have on my Garmin 64 and every other GPS I have ever owned?

Now as soon as you miss a turn or something it keeps telling you to make a uturn.  Seriously?  Why can't I select the no uturn option for cycling?

In any event it keeps telling me to make a uturn for miles. I am not far closer to my destination and a simple reroute would correct this and put the course back on track, but it doesn't work that way.

Why is this so hard to fix?  Normally on a ride, I may skip a turn intending to kind of take a slightly different way and on other GPS's it will reroute me with something that makes sense.

• Yep.  This is often mentioned and complained about.  When I deviate from a course, I ignore the instructions to return to the point I left it and instead use the map display to get back to the course at some point further along . Once I rejoin the course, navigation picks up as normal.

I believe the rationale behind how the rerouting works is that if you're riding a planned course, you want to ride it and not some other, so it routes you back to where you deviated so that you can do just that.   You can imagine if your course is a loop that ends at the start, being directed back to the start/end when you deviate would likely not be what you want.

If the destination is a POI or saved, you can cancel navigation and then have the Edge create a new course to it.

• I could maybe accept that but even if I say put in a destination (like home), and don't go exactly like it wants it keeps trying to have me make a uturn.to keep me on whatever original route it calculated.     There needs to be an option to turn off uturns like there is for other profiles, just not for cycling.

I have never owned a GPS that was this stubborn about rerouting you when you deviate.   

The rationae is bogus, especially if this is often mentioned an complained about.  Garmin why don't you fix this or at least allow an option for rerouting that works.   If you want keep an option that sticks strictly to the route but allow the user to choose.   

Again even if not doing a route it is stubborn about rerouting when you don't take their picked route home. 

• Yes it's a pain, I've got a Garmin sat nav in my van and if I miss a turning or go another way to avoid traffic it instantly calculates  another route, 

• Garmin why don't you fix this or at least allow an option for rerouting that works. 

The new 1030 plus model has the rerouting options you want.  Who knows if Garmin will port it to the 830.  If you have recalculate on in the other models it will recalculate quickly but it will be a new route to your destination point and it will be unlikely to follow your planned route.

• following this thread ...
    I want this also get it working .. the route you planned might be obstructed for roadwork or some event you didn't know...

So Gramin ..get it working as we all acspetced ... it should work like  a Garmin navigation device! (or a least give us user an option to use it)

• I agree.  Like looigi, whenever I deviate from the course, I ignore the 830's constant urging to do a U-turn and figure out on my own how to get back on course further up.  The 830's rerouting feature is basically useless.

• Kinda funny, but ~ 10 years ago using the Edge 705, if I strayed far enough of course, it would automatically reroute me to the destination.  This is exactly the feature you guys are asking for on the 830.  Anyway.  Most often I didn't want this as I wanted to mainly follow the course I had laid out despite having deviated from it, not a whole new one via the most direct means.  The thing is, even though I had the automatic reroute option turned off, it would do it anyway, which was quite annoying as the only thing to do was get back on the original course, cancel nav, and reload the desired course.

• To reiterate.  This is not just when following a course.  So you can't just say it wants to follow the course.  It occurs the same if I say go to a specific location like home.    It calculates a way then if I deviate and take another way it won't correct.  It keeps wanting me to uturn, even miles after I am so far off that original course that it would be 5 miles further to backtrack the way it is saying.

I guess it's nice if they corrected it in the 1030 but I just bought the 830 in June and spent $400.  I'm not ready to buy a new computer at this point.    Obviously it is a software fix, and could easily be fixed and updated on the 830.

Garmin?  Where are you?

• I agree with these comments.  When I upgraded from an 810 I hoped that re-routing would be markedly better than it is.  My 830 generally wants me to u-turn so I have to zoom out of the map and make my own route.  It would be much easier to explore new/modified routes or even cope with a blocked road if the 830 would re-route like google maps does.  If the 1030 can do this I don't see why the 830 can't.  I hope Garmin will respond.

• It does not matter if you are following a course or navigating to a saved location. If you stray off course the 830 will want you to u-turn even if continuing is a shorter path. There are valid reasons to stray off of a planned course, like a road closure, so it would be good if the unit would re-route instead of just u-turn.

There is a fallacy that I keep seeing on this board. It is false that the 830 takes your course as gospel and that is why it wants you to u-turn an re-join where you deviated. When you load a course the unit calculates the route, and yes this can deviate from the course as the user planned. For instance: I had a route where I was riding on the street (right side as I'm in the USA). About 0.5 mile from the next turn, a left, the 830 wanted me to cross the street and ride on the sidewalk on the left side of the street. WTF? I've seen other examples of the 830 deviating from my planned route.