This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rerouting doesn't work

I have an 830.  The rerouting is terrible/useless.

Why can't this be fixed?  It even works far better on old software I have on my Garmin 64 and every other GPS I have ever owned?

Now as soon as you miss a turn or something it keeps telling you to make a uturn.  Seriously?  Why can't I select the no uturn option for cycling?

In any event it keeps telling me to make a uturn for miles. I am not far closer to my destination and a simple reroute would correct this and put the course back on track, but it doesn't work that way.

Why is this so hard to fix?  Normally on a ride, I may skip a turn intending to kind of take a slightly different way and on other GPS's it will reroute me with something that makes sense.

• I'm sure that happens (apparent course deviations when the Edge loads a previously laid out course) but in almost all instances when that happens to me, the error is in the course I laid and and visible if I zoom into that area on the app where I laid it out.  I have the problem quite often using RWGPS.  I start laying it out, add course points,  and the generated course looks good, but on closer inspection there are some segments where the course does something weird like you describe.  In those cased, the Edge dutifully follows the weirdness. I have that problem more is some geographic areas than others.  When laying out a course in those areas, I'll zoom in, follow along the course, and add control point to fix the unexpected routings.

• If you have recalculation turned on when you deviate from the route you are following the device will calculate a new route to your destination point.  These mapping units have always done that and the 830 will definitely do that. The difference with the 1030 plus is that if you are following a pre planned route it will navigate you back to your planned route if you deviate from it instead of just calculating a new route to your destination.  As most people follow pre planned routes this has been wanted for years.

• These units will prefer to route you down paths/sidewalks if possible like you have seen even though staying on the road is more sensible.

• There may be good reasons for what's annoying to us as users as people are suggesting, e.g. that we are loading up a weird route (I know the route I plot on a PC sometimes goes into a parallel road for some reason), or that the mapping is based on running/walking as well as cycling and doesn't know that cyclists try to avoid steps (I've heard this before).  I can also see that google maps for a driver has an easier re-routing challenge (I don't mind driving up a steep hill in my car or on a busy road but I might object to this as a cyclist).  

However, I think its still the case that many users find Garmin re-routing frustrating and counter-intuitive and it would be good if Garmin could explain exactly what it does and doesn't do and what the limitations are.  Is what we currently have the best we are going to get or is something better round the corner?  Please could someone from Garmin respond.

• Obviously Garmin doesn't give a rip as they haven't fixed this yet.......

• I totally agree. Navigation after a roadblock is a big joke. 

• Shame garmin hasnt bothered to even comment.  I have another related issue since rerouting is useless in current form.  If you deviate then later just want a rerouting to go home...  How can you get a new route calculated without ending current activity and starting a new one? I could not see any option to do this while current activity was active.

• Like I said Garmin doesn't give a rip. What is really strange is why is it every other GPS routing software I have used works properly except whatever they are using on the 830?  Even the old software for the Garmin handhelds, 60 and 64 would reroute properly and not keep making uturns.    It's unexplainable.   Any 50 cent programmer could fix this issue, heck they could just steal the software from their other productions.  It makes absolutely no sense. 

• It has been fixed.  The fix is to buy the 1030+ which has sensible re-routing options.  Unfortunately Garmin has decided not to port this feature to any other unit.  Any future units should have this improved re-routing.

• From Garmin 830 product page:

"Edge 830 is smart enough to guide you back to the route — or back to start — if you deviate from it or decide to head home early."

This is currently false advertising and is also a main feature.  It needs fixed in priority.  I would like them to tell us when it will be fixed or not. Im considering mine to be returned for a refund as its not fit for purpose while still under guarantee.