This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please Help: Can't connect my Edge 830 to my iPhone (Garmin Connect) any more

For the longest time, my Edge 830 would connect to my iPhone version of Garmin Connect just fine.  Then, after one of the updates (about 3-4 weeks ago), I had to 're-setup' my Garmin Connect App and re-add my Fenix 5X and Edge 830.  The Fenix connects fine-the Edge 830 no longer connects.  I've tried everything...

Tried:

1) 'forgetting' my 830 on my iPhone (under the bluetooth devices)

2) re-pairing using the BT function of my phone, then going to the app to 'finish setup'

3) rebooting the Edge 830, the iPhone, and trying again.

4) Deleting the entire Garmin Connect App, then 'forgetting' the Edge 830, then trying again - no success

How the heck to I get this to 'reconnect'?  When I go into the 'devices' section of Garmin Connect, it sees the 'unfinished install' present and asks me if I want to finish setting it up.  I've tried that, and it starts by asking me to select an accessory-so I cancel that and it attempts to complete the setup, but fails every time.

I have not done anything with the device settings under the web version of 'Garmin Connect'-not sure if I need to try something from that angle next?  Very very frustrating...

Please help.

Sean

• I've had a similar problem, though not through consciously updating software, unless it did it automatically. Setup seemed to take me round in circles, asking me to select an accessory from what was an empty table, which I cancelled only for the device to attempt to complete setup but failing as mentioned above. I tried all the remedies mentioned above, but the one thing that seemed to clear the problem was doing a reset on the 830 (making sure to select the reset option that preserved data). I was then able to coast through setup, noting that what was previously an empty accessory table now contained "edge 830". Selecting the 830 allowed the setup to proceed to conclusion. 

• Thanks.  I just tried that and effectively erased all my ride profiles, etc and still no connection to my phone.  Now I'm a bit more upset (at Garmin-not you)!  Ugh...

• I just had this happen now, and this is how I solved it.

1. On the Bluetooth settings on your phone, "Forget the Device."
    2. Launch Garmin Connect app on your phone
    3. On the Edge device itself, go to "Settings -> Connected Features -> Phone -> (Enable) -> Smart Phone -> Forget phone" This is THE step missing from all the online posts you see. And this is why a device reset works because it removes your phone.
    4. Click "Pair with phone" on the device, and follow the pairing mode instructions.
  • Thanks for the tip-yes, I have been looking for an option to 'forget this phone' from my Edge 830.  Unfortunately, that option doesn't exist at the path you've listed or anywhere else I can find.  I'm on version 5.10 at the moment.  I wish it was there as I am sure that would fix my problem.  I keep getting this stupid 'select an accessory' popup on my (IOS based) Garmin Connect app.  Ugh...

• What menu item can't you find in the path? I have updated my answer to ensure that you have "Enable" clicked in the "Phone" menu screen. I have 5.10 as well.

• I only have the following showing up on my Edge 830:

Settings--> 'Connected Features' --> [Phone], wifi, device transfers --> then I get [enable] , [Friendly Name], and [Pair Smartphone >]

When clicking 'Pair Smartphone >?' it goes to 'Phone Setup', with a back arrow at the bottom left, and a 'Continue' button at the bottom.  Clicking 'Continue' tries to make it start pairing.

Also, when I delete from my phone's bluetooth, I have to reconnect to the Edge 830 in the phones setting menu before anything happens in the Garmin Connect app itself.  Otherwise they sit there and don't talk to each other at all.

So, I don't know if I've already 'forgotten this phone' in the past and now don't have that option show up?

Sean

• Did you do a full reset on the 830, per Colin's answer? If so, then yes this un-pairs your 830 from your phone, which explains why you don't see the "Forget phone" option in the 830's menus. In my case, GC app updated on my phone, so I had to follow my steps to re-pair. I did NOT reset my device.

Did you do my steps 1 & 2 first, BEFORE trying to "pair the phone" on the 830?

• I did the reset that preserves data-not the complete factory reset (which I'm getting ready to do!).  I followed the procedure as you listed, though as noted, I don't get the 'forget this phone option).  I just retried again and same thing.  It keeps going to that stupid 'select an accessory' popup, which I have to hit 'cancel' to, before it tries to pair again.

I also just tried to rename the 'friendly name of my device' and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the suggestions so far-I DO appreciate it.

I'm wondering if there's any way I can go into the file system on the device itself and remove paired phones, or something?

• Yeah I believe even a reset that preserves data deletes your phone from the 830, hence you don't get the option to forget it.

You should see the "Edge 830" on the accessory pop-up and be able to choose it from there. Try powering both phone and device first, then powering them back on, and start over, ensuring your 830 is not in your phone's Bluetooth (again) first.

• Also, when I delete from my phone's bluetooth, I have to reconnect to the Edge 830 in the phones setting menu before anything happens in the Garmin Connect app itself.  Otherwise they sit there and don't talk to each other at all.

Don't do this. This is probably why you don't see the 830 in the GC app's "Accessories" pop-up screen. The Bluetooth connection is done via the GC app, NOT through your phone's settings.