This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Repeated Warning Livetrack Auto Start Timed Out every 30 seconds

On a ride home a couple of days ago I had a warning that appeared every thirty seconds or so covering the lower third of the screen. Every time I cleared it, it came back.

I was following a route, and had said Yes to "You are near the beginning of the route, would you like to start"

This was on 4.10, iPhone 7 plus, IOS 13.1.2 GCM 4.23.3.4

I've subsequently updated to the beta 4.21 and haven't tried reproducing the error.

A few screenshots attached

• I’m with you.  I’m not sure why they can’t fix this.  Haven’t they heard of the circuit breaker design pattern? 

Here’s the latest they sent to me:

<snip>

Thanks for giving that a try. I think at this point we will need to get this issue escalated to our engineering team. I have listed below a few items I will need from you to further investigate this issue.

• What is the version of the Garmin Connect app running on your phone?
    • What model iPhone are you using?
    • Can you provide a screenshot of the Livetrack settings page in the app?
    • Can you provide a screenshot of the error message you receive when trying to use Livetrack?

</snip>

I wish they paid attention to this forum, because many people have provided the information they’re looking for.  I also wish their developers rode bikes! They’d experience it themselves!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to NJSevenRider
    I also wish their developers rode bikes! They’d experience it themselves!

True dat. I thought of that myself many, many, many times. The only guy that actually rides is although I am not really sure what his affiliation with Garmin is - my guess is really, really big and knowledgeable enthusiast Slight smile

• Happened to me today with 5.00

i disable the live track

• Ok I have cracked this finally after nearly 12 months of grief (and possibly only for my set of circumstances). YMMV

This was my process:

I finally disabled autostart and tried to use manual start on the GC app (I didn't realise till now that the manual start button doesn't appear until you disable autostart) and that didn't work either. Said can't send messages.

I remembered a while ago (about when this all started there was some notes about GC using phone contacts as well as GC contacts. I went through and removed all my GC contacts and added new ones from the phone contacts ONLY  (lots of people getting useless messages and phoning me) needing to put country codes on phone numbers and sending emails to no longer existing multiple email addresses that still exist in my phone contacts. Then applied those phone contacts to livetrack and incident detection. There were error messages saying that "It appears your contact has been removed" etc but jest kept adding them.

Manual Livetrack now works

Re-enabled autostart and that too now works.

So after 1 day and about 4 test rides it is working. 

I will update after some more days testing.

• This is still happening on 5.10. I’ve also gotten a similar loop where the garmin keeps repeating “Download Complete”. 

garmin - please look into this. I get it almost every other ride. 

- Scott - Wind Field - windfield.app

• I'm still getting this issue as of today on 5.00, I've just upgraded to 5.10, but nothing in the FW release notes leads me to believe it's fixed.  When it starts, I just disable the phone connection and it goes away, of course I have no LiveTrack or other phone features for the rest of the ride, but at least it stops nagging every 30 seconds.  I made the mistake of leaving the phone connected for a race, trying to toggle the phone connection off in a crit was a nightmare.  Garmin please fix this.....

• Same exact problem on my 1030 the last two rides. Once the timeout message has been acknowledged it should go away. It was so annoying I just turned off tones. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Just to keep the thread alive, it happened again today. V5.10, iOS 13.3.

Good job, everyone!

• Try this, what I have done - no problems at all with Livetrack.

1. Deleted the BT connection(s) on the iPhone, there are 2.

2. Turn off iPhone.

3. Turn on the 830.

4. Remove iPhone Connection on the 830.

5. Turn off 830.

6. Turn on iPhone wait untill it is functional.

7. Turn on 830 wait until it is functional.

8. Than create the BT connection, question will be asked current 830 or new - I took current 830.

9. Proceed and finish procedure. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to csteenbe

Thanks for the effort, but someone already posted this, tried it, it didn't work.

As a matter of fact, there really is no pattern, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.