This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What I learned about getting a reliable BT connection

I have a samsung s7. I hope this may useful information for some.

I connected my device with the 'trusted device' feature. It maintains a rock-solid, reliable connection.

How I know. I made a mistake.

I am on my second edge 830.

When pairing (setup) my device-to-phone for the first time with the first device, I did not select the the trusted device option. I subsequently had to unlock my phone and open garmin connect to get BT to work correctly. It worked, but seemed like too many steps.

Then my second device arrived as a replacement. This time I selected the trusted device option. My connection established each and everytime, whether or not I unlocked my phone.

Then I made the mistake of synching my new 830 device in garmin express to the 1st edge 830 device profile. My ability to connect took me back to where I had to unlock the phone and open garmin connect first.

So, I unpaired my phone and went through the pairing setup again to 'again' select 'trusted device. I also removed the first device from garmin express.

For me, using trusted device provides a rock-solid, reliable connection that only requires me to power up my garmin edge 830.

Hope someone can get some use my lesson.

• That's probably the point. Problems with BT connection and its maintaining appear when the phone locks. Unlocking the phone was the only that helped me regain the connection before I did the above mentioned trick. So far so good.

• I have never had a problem with BT once it's connected, it has never dropped. The problem I have is that it 70/30 connects on it's own. I can sit here at my desk at work turning the Edge on and off and it will connect to the phone as it's booting up 100% of the time. As soon as I go to my bike i do the exact same procedure and I typically have to open GCM.

Now my Edge was not set as a trusted device so I have enabled that. As other have mentioned this shouldn't fix the problem as its not solving what the problem is. My car and many other devices I have are not set as a trusted device and they connect to my phone 100% of the time 

• for me, the only way to connect my Honor 10 with my Edge is to turn off  Bluetooth on the Phone, start the edge, and when the ede is on,  i can turn on the Bluetooth on my Phone

• First real test this morning with the Edge set as a trusted device and connection failed. I was getting ready for my morning commute. Edge is on the bike, phone sitting 2 feet from the Edge. Turn on Edge and wait. never connected. This time I wasn't going to force it to connect, maybe it would connect after a certain time period? Nope 40min commute, Edge never connected to the phone. 

• Commute home. Wouldn't make a BT connection unless I opened GCM. Phone is set up so the Edge is a trusted device. Love the Edge 830 the connection issue isn't a deal breaker but it's super annoying.

• Trusted device thing didn't do the trick for me either. Best connection have with GCM opened. Agree that it's super annoying

• From day one I have experience non-connection issue on my Edge 830 (running Garmin Connect on my Google Pixel 3). My old Edge 810 occasionally had the odd issue but nowhere near as much. Also my Fenix 5 plus happily maintains connection to the same phone, so I can't understand why the Edge 830 should be experiencing such major issues.

• I`ve made some additional tests because for me this is the most annoying thing in Edge 830.

When connecting the unit with GCM there is only one BT connection established. Unfortunately this is not sufficient for Edge to be paired with phone when you turn on 830 next time. There is second BT connection which appears in phone bluetooth menu. If you select this connection instantly Edge will pair. The problem is that when you switch off 830 and turn it again this is not working. You need to delete second connection and add it again. In my case unless each time I don`t establish this second connection Edge would be in vain searching for my phone. I`ve also have FR945 which has one BT connection which is working flawlessly.

This is hard to comprehend for me. In recent updates there was a fix for Iphone, Garmin please make a fix for Android. Maybe GCM should establish two BT connections, maybe there is another way to fix second connection. This is the most important aspect now as without it neither Livetrack, incident alert or messages will not work.

• In my view the thing is on the Android side of the BT connection. I have phone OnePlus 6T with OxygenOS running on Android 9.0 and the connection with 830 (4.23 BETA) is flawless. Garmin connects to phone even if the GCM app is not running. But the same connection with my prevoius phone (Samsung Galaxy 8) was tragedy. To be able to connect I had to start GCM app and kept is open. So that I suggest for those with problem to mention which phone and Android version they use.

• I have Samsung Galaxy S8, Android 9. Truly nothing helps - restarted 830, new firmware 4.23 beta, phone is updated. Trusted device thing is not working. GCM opened is sometimes helpful but rarely. If I don't refresh second BT connection Edge is permanently in searching mode.