This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 satellites lost

Anyone still exp this problem? I get a sattelites lost message almost every time I ride under a bridge/road, no matter if it takes me 5 or 30 seconds to get to the other side.

I will try using GPS only or GPS+GLONASS, which will hop help prevent this from occurring again. 

• Hi Matthew.  Is it possible to obtain more details?  Was tracking sensitivity actually improved, or did Garmin just stop issuing the beep when satellites are lost.  maybe if I have time, I'll do a sensitivity test with a GPS re-rediator and signal attenuator

• I bet that they just removed the warning message...

• If You share 2 FIT files (one with older fw where there was lost signal for sure and one with new fw) i can analize it deeper and show You is there signal lost in new FW also or not (without warning message)

• I spent two weeks going back and forth with Garmin trying to solve this issue back when I had my first Edge 830. I was hoping that this problem has been finally sorted out but sadly it hasn't.

I bought the unit recently and will ask for a refund. To me this is hardware related. 

• Is there a delay in the official release of the 5.24 software?

• I have recently switched from Edge 820 to 830, mainly because of its better battery performance. I am an MTB rider, riding in Slovakia, where we have 4 seasons and where trees loose leaves in the winter. Even though the trees are leaveless right now, my EDGE 830 loses the signal easily under the trees. I have never experienced such thing on my old 820- not even in the peak summer with leaves on the trees. I do not get any lost signal message, but I can tell by the sudden significant drop of the speed. Its really annoying, because when it hapennes during the segment ride, the computer will stop, as my speed drops below “Auto-stop- speed”. I expect the problem to get worse with the leaves growing. In such case the EDGE 830 will not fit its purpose and will become an expensive piece of junk. 

• This isn't a solution, but I use a wheel speed sensors which makes auto pause much more reliable, especially at slow mtb speeds.  I set it for 5 kph.  It also makes recorded distance much more accurate, especially for tortuous mtb tracks.  

However, for mtb, I usually just set auto pause to off because I want it to keep recording even when I'm pushing bike slowly up a really steep section.  That, and I rarely stop, and never for long, when riding.

• I have had this problem almost since release. Hasn't been fixed yet, which suggests a hardware design fault.

• - Just throwing that (hardware issue) out there huh? We are working on a fix for this in an upcoming software update. The fix is currently in the Beta Software: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14955

• I am now on my third unit. So no, I am not just throwing it out there. The product has been out for a year now- I wonder what took a fix so long? This thread was created 7 months ago and has 3700+ views- I would hardly refer to this as something of small concern.

I also recall other statements that the loss of satellites is no longer a problem, which turned out to be false. If anything Garmin reps should be apologising, rather than being sarcastic.