This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Continued GPS Issues

About a month ago I replaced my Edge 820 with the 830 primarily due to needing more battery life. I know how Garmin products get rolled out - basically a public beta then slowly but surely get better over time. That said, the two pictures below show the GPS track of my 820 vs the new 830. The picture of the 820 track was from my last ride on that unit about a month ago, the picture of the 830 track is from my latest ride in the exact same area after about a month of use with the new unit. I've ridden this trail approximately 2 dozen times over the last month and it has yet to get any better with any fw update/beta. 

Most will say that GPS will struggle in some areas no matter what, but the problem I have with that is my 820 had no issue in the areas that the 830 looks like an apple watch (very bad). 

I'll probably also get crucified (which is fine) by some saying they've had zero issues whatsoever. I will concede that I have basically zero issues on road rides but for obvious reasons those are generally less of a challenge for a gps unit. 

The settings are identical between the two units - GPS+Glonass, 1 sec recording, same mounting position, same everything. Because of my frustration and wanting to see what was going on I set up a data screen that simply shows GPS accuracy as well as signal strength. I have NEVER seen this screen display anything but 9 feet accuracy and full signal despite two laps of the same trail being significantly far apart from each other in terms of GPS track. Either the accuracy field is a complete gimmick or the trail somehow moves in the 20 minutes or so it takes me to get back around for lap 2. 

Does anybody "in the know" have some idea as to whether or not anything in the works for FW updates will ever solve my problem? I'm open to any and all suggestions to include ditching the 830 altogether. It's a shame because I like many of the other new features associated with the 830 and the touchscreen finally works great. For what it's worth no FW update/beta has ever made any noticeable difference whatsoever in accuracy, I'm currently on 4.10 (the latest picture is from this FW).