This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 830 Public Beta 3.33 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 830 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.33:

• Fixes connectivity issues that could have caused ANT+ or BLE sensors to lose connection and never reconnect.
  • Fixes an issue that caused Bluetooth communication to lock up, which could have affected phone connectivity and device power down.
  • Improved performance in GPS + GALILEO mode.

Feedback

• If you experience sensor or phone connectivity issues with this build, our engineering team would like to hear about your experience so they can work toward resolving any remaining issues. Please reply to this forum thread with the following information:
  1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?
  2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
  3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
  4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
  5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?
    1. What sensors were connected over BLE?
  6. Did you have your phone connected?
    1. Is it Android or iOS?
    2. What version of GCM do you have?
    3. Were you using LiveTrack?
  7. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
  8. If you have a Garmin/Debugging directory on your device, please create a zip file with its contents and upload that if possible.
  • Please note that you may not get a response to the post unless we need more information on the issue you report. Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Installation Instructions

Connect your Edge 830 device to your computer using the micro-USB cable.

Download and unzip Edge830_333Beta.zip.

Updating to Public Beta Software

To update device software, place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \Garmin folder of your device's internal storage drive.

To update GPS firmware, place the RemoteSW\006B310700.GCD file in the \Garmin\RemoteSW folder of your device’s internal storage drive.

Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the Edge, and wait for the update to finish.

Reverting to the Latest Public Release

If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-320.GCD file in the \Garmin folder. Rename the file to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device. 

To revert your GPS firmware, place the RemoteSW\006B310700-230.GCD file in the \Garmin\RemoteSW folder. Rename the file to 006B310700.GCD.

NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all your settings will be reset to defaults.

• I dont have general sensor dropouts, however I am using a TT ETAP with the blipbox (the previous 11 speed version) and the ETAP does not stay permenently connected? i have the data field for the gears and it does not indicate me the gear all the time. Sometimes when I change gear, it will take a bit to update the display - if it happens at all.

Is this a known behaviour? In any case its super annoying, as I also cannot really do a proper analysis or havea look at the gear changes I did.

• What do you mean by backup?  There are no instructions for how to backup as far as I can determine.  Certainly there is no backup procedure on the device.  As to why one needs to install the latest software, I do it to even try and get full functionality out of it.  Since I purchased it I have had nothing but problems.  For instance the GPS+Galileo didnt work properly and many other issues as reported in these forums.  I was only trying to get something functional.  As DC Rainmaker has posted, why do Garmin release products with so many flaws and then make their customers suffer, in some cases for years, trying to deal with it?  

• There are instructions how to backup and restore when you do a reinstall/factory reset https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=AXV7LuWgc73v21nq6nbDa6&productID=621232&searchQuery=backup&tab=topics

I understand that you are pissed at Garmin for losing your data, but people that store priceless data (like your routes) on just one device is just asking for it. And then you also went and installed beta firmware, which is described as unstable to the device.

Galileo doesn't (didn't?) work properly because it's new, like a couple of months in operation, unlike GPS which has been there for ages. It takes a while to iron out the kinks for Galileo. Also it seems to work more or less properly nowadays.

• FWIW I have Di2 and use the gearing info too, and has not had a single data dropout using the ANT+ connection.  I also have a Quarq PM and Varia radar, and has not had a data drop for as long as I've owned the 830.  With that being said I don't have instantaneous power reading nor cadence as one of my data fields.  So in theory the data could drop out but I have no ways of knowing it.  For those of you who have data dropout besides the gearing data how are you noticing the drop?

• Just curious.  For all of you whom have the sensor drop issue, do you carry your phone with you while you ride?  FWIW I have not experienced a single sensor drop since I got my 830.  BUT I don't carry a phone with me...I wear an Apple Watch and it's never connected to the 830.  I've been wondering why others are seeing sensor drops while I'm not, and I have many sensors connected while I ride.

• My Edge 830 on beta 3.33 crashes in 4 of 5 cases, if I choose "Back to start" and "shortest" in the Widgets. Does anybody have the same issue? 

• I was having very frequent sensor dropouts (power+cadence) with the earlier firmware so I tried this one. On my first ride today I had 3-4 dropouts early on in my ride, but not a single one (that I saw) after I started my actual workout (lap 2 in the attached .fit file/ activity). 

I'm still not sure why this is... How come I have dropouts early on, but then nothing for 40 minutes? I'd love for someone to enlighten me about this. 

Also, can someone ready my .fit file attached? I have no clue how to open it, but it would be awesome if someone could and see if there's any obvious errors...

.fit file: drive.google.com/.../view

garmin connect activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3760286437

• Just curious.  Do you carry your phone with you while you ride?  I have not experienced a single sensor dropout but I don't carry my phone while I ride.

• Hi, yes, I always carry my phone when out riding. 

• Thanks.  Perhaps this also explains that I've not experienced freezes or crashes thus far (with the 3.20 firmware).