This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensor Dropout Feedback

We realize how important sensor data is to our customers and how frustrating it can be when there are issues with it. If you are experiencing these issues with sensor drop outs the engineering team would like to understand the following information to help understand the issue.

1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?
  2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
  3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
  4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
  5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?
    1. What sensors were connected over BLE?
  1. Did you have your phone connected?
    1. Is it Android or iOS?
    2. What version of GCM do you have?
    3. Were you using LiveTrack?
  2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
  • See my data in the thread that was closed "edge 830 Bluetooth drop-out mid ride" 

1. Edge 830 software 3.20

2. I lost my powermeter (Rotor 2inpower) after +-05:30 (hh:mm) into the ride, it was after a break, the sensor did not reconnect after restarting the ride

3. No, my speed and heart rate sensors reconnected correctly.

4. No the powermeter did not reconnect until the end of the ride.

5. Sensors connected: Speed, heart rate, powermeter (including cadence) and Di2.

.a Powermeter was on BLE, all the other on ANT+.

6. Yes phone connected

.a iOS

.b Garmin Connect 4.19

.c No I was not using LiveTrack

• 1. 3.20

2. 1 Hr, the dropout was shortly after a 15 minute stop, where my power meter probably went to sleep.

3. All sensors

4. No, and when I tried to poweroff the unit hung with the power icon displayed. I had to hold the power button for 10 seconds and force a reset. This has happened twice.

5 HR, DI2  and Power, no BLE

6. iPhone, GC 4.19, no live track

FWIW, I did a 2 hour ride last night with a BLE HR sensor but with the phone connection turned off and had no issues.

• 1. Edge 830 FW 3.20 - returned one unit via garmin support, second unit behaved the same way

2. 5-50 minutes into the rides.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3667301873

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3703021640

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3710215390

3. It looks like my Wahoo TCKR RUN hr strap has continued to be connected in all the cases, but the PowerTap P1 power meter and garmin speed sensor would drop out.

4. No, once the sensors drop out, I can't get them to connect again.  If I try to manually connect, it never succeeds. 

5. Shimano di2, PowerTap P1 pedals (power+cadence), Wahoo TICKR Run hr strap, the new Garmin speed sensor.  I think all of them (except the di2) were connected by BLE - I didn't intend to do that, but this was the first box that the garmin unit showed when I was pairing the sensors.  I deleted all of the sensors and have tried re-pairing as ANT+ sensors but haven't gotten outside to try riding with this setup yet.

6. Yes, iphone Xs/iOS 12.3.1 connected with Garmin Connect version 4.19.  I have GroupTrack enabled but I've never used it.  I had Strava Beacon enabled, but I never use it.  "Auto Start" in the garmin connect app is disabled.  I've never turned on LiveTrack.

7. I think I've marked the three above activity links as public.

• 1. Edge 830 software 3.20

2. My powermeter (Rotor 2inpower) and heart rate strap (Garmin HRM-Dual) after one hour two minutes into the ride, it was after a break, the pm only reconnected after I deleted and re-added it (about 43 minutes later). I didn't notice the HR was still disconnected.

3. No, the Di2 seemed to stay connected throughout..

4. No the PM did not reconnect until I deleted it and re-added. I tried to simply connect as well as disabling it and then re-enabling and neither worked.

5. Sensors connected: Di2, heart rate, powermeter (including cadence).

.a None

6. Yes phone connected

.a iOS

.b Garmin Connect version prior to 4.19

.c No I was not using LiveTrack

GC: connect.garmin.com/.../3687099142

• 3719603140.zip

See below for my mountain bike ride today (June 5, 2019):

1. 830 version 3.20
    2. 2 hours 30 minutes
    3. Yes, all sensors dropped out (HR Tickr, Stages Powermeter, and I think the Garmin Speed sensor as well but hard to tell)
    4. No, the sensors never reconnected
    5. See #3 above.  I'm not sure if the Stages and Tickr were using BLE or ANT+ as I just accepted to connect when the Garmin found them (so whatever the Garmin defaults to when the devices output both).
    1. Did you have your phone connected? Yes
      1. Is it Android or iOS? iOS
      2. What version of GCM do you have?  4.19.0.11 (App Version)
      3. Were you using LiveTrack? No
    2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.  See attached
  • 1. 830 version 3.2 (FWIW, I did rides with version 2.4 and never experienced the issue

2. 13 minutes

3. The two sensors that dropped both dropped at the same time (HRM Dual and Cadence2)

4. No, I had to delete them and re-add them. In addition, both times this has happened (hasn't happened every time), the device has frozen on the power off screen just showing the power logo. I had to hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds to reset the 830.

5. Varia front headlight, Varia Radar, Di2, HRM-Dual, and Cadence2

5a. I believe HRM-Dual and Cadence2 in one scenario and in the other scenario, all Ant+. Not 100% sure it happened when connected over Ant+, but pretty certain.

6. Yes

6a. iOS

6b. 4.19.0.11

6c. No

7. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3685425776 (Would not let me upload the fit file, but made this public so hopefully you could export yourself. Note, the cadence didn't drop out twice. I thought I added it back at 50 minutes, but apparently added someone else in my group's sensor. So, HRM-Dual and Cadence2 dropped at 13m.

• Update: I deleted my 3 sensors (Powertap P1 pedals, Wahoo TICKR Run Hr strap, Garmin speed sensor) and re-added them as ANT+ (they came up with the BLE connections as the default mode - definitely not what I wanted with my powermeter pedals), and went for a three hour ride.  I didn't have the speed sensor on the wheel I was using this ride, but it worked perfectly with the sensors connected over ANT+.  I doubt the addition of the speed sensor was the critical factor, but wanted to mention it for completeness sake. I stopped at the bike shop for half an hour but didn't sleep the 830 while I was stopped (I was used to quick-pressing the power button on the 820 to sleep it, and that seems to lock the screen on the 830 and not record HR data?  Not sure about that, but it seemed like that was the case, I won't swear to it.  There is a gap of HR data in the recording when I was at the shop, but I may have been out of range of the bike for a while.) connect.garmin.com/.../3723096373

1. 3.2
    2. From the beginning. Many dropouts first 8 minutes.
    3. Powermeter+cadence. 4iiii podiiium
    4. Yes
    5. Heart Rate, Power+cadence. Phone
      1. Phone
    1.  Yes
      1. Android. OnePlus 7 Pro
      2.  No
    2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3724793533

drive.google.com/.../view