This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensor Dropout Feedback

We realize how important sensor data is to our customers and how frustrating it can be when there are issues with it. If you are experiencing these issues with sensor drop outs the engineering team would like to understand the following information to help understand the issue.

1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?
  2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
  3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
  4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
  5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?
    1. What sensors were connected over BLE?
  1. Did you have your phone connected?
    1. Is it Android or iOS?
    2. What version of GCM do you have?
    3. Were you using LiveTrack?
  2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
    1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?  4.1
    2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?                    Twice, once at around 30min the second at around 4hr.
    3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?  The first time everything locked-up (radar, HRM, cadence, speed) and phone connection stopped working, I could still switch between screens but the readings (and Radar display) were stuck.  Note that my dual BT/Ant HRM continued to operate, I think on the BT channel (it was originally ANT).
    4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?  The first time, no, I had to individually remove and then reconnect each sensor. The second time they all reconnected themselves.  
    5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?  Radar, Garmin Speed & Cadence, BT/ANT HRM.
      1. What sensors were connected over BLE? None initially, but the HRM formed a BT connection when the ANT connection was lost.
      1. Is it Android or iOS?      iOS 
      3. Were you using LiveTrack?  No
      Edge 830 ASIA on 2.8.0

1h and 12m

First the phone disconnected.
      A minute or so later the Favero Power Pedals and the Garmin Cadence, Speed and HR Tri Strap sensors all dropped.
      Finally after about a minute the phone reconnected but all other connections remained dropped.

No

Garmin Speed and Cadence v3 (the ones included with the 830)
      Favero Assimo Duo Power Pedals
      Garmin HR Tri Strap

All
      Yes (but see above)

1. Is it Android or iOS?
        iOS *iPhone XS on 12.4

No

Sorry I found this thread after I had already deleted all the files (since they were incomplete and thus useless).
      Next time I will upload them as well.

I have done 6 rides with the 830 so far and this was the first time I had any dropouts. It was also the first time I paused the ride while stopping instead of just leaving the 830 on. The dropouts happened a couple of minutes after restarting the ride so I have a nagging suspicion that the device somehow failed to reconnect after coming back up and exiting the Pause state...

As a side note, an update on when your users in Asia might get a newer firmware than 2.8.0 would be very much appreciated...

Thank you.

1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using? 4.10
    2. How long into your ride did the issue occur? really early in the beginning and through out the ride till end
    3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one? power (4iii precision dual) only with cadence (one device) but sometimes looks like di2 with disconnect too and phone sometimes would disconnect and then reconnect back
    4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own? yes after 10s exactly every time
      1. What sensors were connected over BLE? i would only haveconnect phone but even if it would not be connect has no effect on it.
      1. Is it Android or iOS? android
      2. What version of GCM do you have ?4.22.1
      3. Were you using LiveTrack? no
    2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible. connect.garmin.com/.../4023804717
  • 1.  It’s 4.10 now, but I just updated after the ride today (9/15/2019) so not sure what it was when I was during the activity. Last update was about 2 weeks ago,

2.  About 10 minutes 

3. Stages PM and iPhone dropped.  Garmin Connect App was running

4. No

5. Stages PM which also serves as cadence sensor, iPhone was connected

6. A. iOS, B. Garmin Connect App 4.22.2.1 c. No4061155662.zip

• So this happened on my very first ride with this unit, hopefully it’s not an ongoing problem...

1. Edge 830 software 5.2

2. First ~3hrs no problem. Stopped for a break, all sensors reconnected but the dropped all within 30 minutes.

3. I’m pretty sure it was all of them. Phone and heart rate at exactly the same time.

4. Nope, did not reconnect for the rest of the ride ~1hrs 30mind

5. Speed sensor (garmin), heart rate (garmin watch 235 on broadcast), iPhone XS

6. Yes, iPhone XS. Live track

7. How?

• Edge 830 running 5.10

Riding for about an hour, paused and put in standby for 10 minutes.

Resumed ride and all sensors (GSC-10 & Premium HR) not connected.

Tried reconnecting through menu, GSC-10 reconnect but did not give data, HR premium did not reconnect.

Unit locked at power symbol when trying to power off.

Everything working OK after holding power button to force a shutdown.

1. Is it Android or iOS?

1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using? 5.10
    2. How long into your ride did the issue occur? Happens fairly contiually, power drops then comes back.
    3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one? Power and Speed (both from smart trainer)
    4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own? Yes, after a few seconds
    5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred? HRM, Kickr Core (power, speed and cadence)
      1. What sensors were connected over BLE? Kickr Core
    1. Did you have your phone connected? Yes
      1. Is it Android or iOS? iOS
      2. What version of GCM do you have? Many versions, always current
      3. Were you using LiveTrack? Indoors so no

FYI kickr is connected to ipad at the same time, but it supports multiple connections.  There are no dropouts on any other device, only the 830. Can the original post be updated with details on how to get the FIT file and where to put it?

• Is there any update on this? Garmin support never replied to my mails. I'm still experiencing these issues with the 3.3 version. All sensors lost, no reconnect possible.

• The first thing to do is to apply a software update to your unit. There have been a lot of changes since build 3.3.

I'm not actually seeing a 3.3 build in the change log history

Change History

Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.00:

• Added support for Connect IQ 3.1.
    • Added support to control Garmin inReach remotely.
    • Made improvements to the indoor cycling user experience.
      - Improved smart trainer discovery and initial setup experience when using an Indoor activity profile.
      - Improved the Follow Course experience by enabling UI (map, ClimbPro, Elevation, etc) and data recording from the simulated course.
      - Made improvements to smart trainer sensor calibration.
    • Made improvements to the workout user experience.
      - Added FTP line to workout comparison displays.
      - Allowed graphical workout data fields to be configured on regular data screens.
      -Improved the display for open steps on the workout comparison graph.
    • Made improvements to the ClimbPro user experience.
      - Made ClimbPro available for navigation to a location.
      - Added a setting in the ClimbPro data screen setup to specify which climbs should be detected (All, Medium/Large, Large Only).
      - Removed the ClimbPro page from the timer loop if there are no climbs left in the ride.
    • Made improvements to the Segment user experience.
      - Fixed an issue where segments with slashes in the name would not be processed and would create subfolders on the file system.
      - Fixed an issue where the segment leader could get reset during a sync.
      - Added setting in the Segments menu to set a Default Leader Priority, which allows the user to set a default leader to apply to all segments.
    • Fixed an issue with pairing to iPhone 11.
    • Added pressure filter in order to improve elevation recording.
    • Fixed an issue where activities could report inaccurate distances if GPS was acquired after the activity started.
    • Improved Firstbeat heat acclimation by utilizing weather forecasts.
    • Added ability to render Hebrew text for incoming smart notifications. This requires additional font files that can be downloaded through Garmin Express.
    • Fixed issues with the map zoom level not being set correctly.
    • Fixed an issue where Battery Save Mode could stop working mid-ride.
    • Added jump prompts for each jump in cases where there are multiple jumps in a row.
    • Fixed issues with the heart rate graph data field.
    • Fixed an issue that caused Auto Detect Max HR to always be enabled.
    • Improved the y-scaling on the elevation profile.
    • Added directional arrows for round trip courses.
    • Fixed cosmetic issues with Extended Display mode.
    • Added additional info to the nutrition/hydration settings page.
    • Turned backlight on when the user laps or there is an autolap during an activity.
    • Automatically sized the text in the elevation data field.
    • Improved overall device stability by fixing crashes and freezes.

Changes made from version 3.50 to 4.10:

• Made visual improvements to ClimbPro, including more granular coloring on the ClimbPro chart and the ability to preview future climbs.
    • Made ClimbPro a separate screen in the timer loop, so the elevation screen is still available during a climb.
    • Fixed issues with ClimbPro that caused the climb or list screens to display improperly.
    • Added new ClimbPro messages to activity FIT files.
    • Changed the Incident Detection setting to be set for each activity profile, and defaulted the setting to OFF for Mountain and E-Mountain profiles where false positives can be more likely due to terrain and riding style.
    • Fixed an issue where Incident Detection could get re-enabled if the user has emergency contacts listed in Garmin Connect.
    • Fixed an issue where prompts could appear over the Incident Detection alert, so it could not be acknowledged by the user.
    • Added the ability to disable the ForkSight page that appears when you stop during a Mountain activity.
    • Added the ability to turn off Grit, Flow, and Jump recording in FIT files for Mountain and E-Mountain activity profiles.
    • Added the ability to turn off jump alerts in Mountain and E-Mountain activity profiles. Jumps will still be recorded in the FIT file but you will not be alerted during your ride.
    • Improved the MTB Navigation interface to utilize the new Riding Area and parking lot data available in the 2019.10 Trailforks map.
    • Fixed an issue where the map zoom and orientation were not properly returning to their original values after the ForkSight page was displayed in a Mountain activity.
    • Fixed some map drawing issues with the latest 2019.10 Trailforks maps.
    • Started using 7-day GPS ephemeris data instead of 3-day data, to improve positioning when new ephemeris data is not available.
    • Added protections against injecting bad GPS ephemeris data that could come from older versions of Garmin Express.
    • Fixed issues with popularity routing.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause the device to generate large activity files and freeze during navigation.
    • Fixed an issue where the battery would not charge to 100%.
    • Increased the minimum sharp bend warning speed to 15mph.
    • Fixed an issue causing erroneous FTP values.
    • Modified the FTP test to lap at the end instead of stopping the timer so the ride will continue to record when the test completes.
    • Fixed incorrect automatic gear selection for Di2 shifters.
    • Fixed an issue where Di2 battery empty was improperly reported as eBike battery empty.
    • Fixed issues with the cycling dynamics page.
    • Added the ability to choose between two different radar tones.
    • Fixed a display issue with the power zone chart.
    • Fixed some display issues with the lap summary data screen.
    • Improved the interface for editing data fields on the map screen.
    • Added extra layout options to the map page to support a larger elevation profile.
    • Made improvements to the elevation profile for segments embedded in a course.
    • Fixed an issue where Connect IQ data fields could only be added to the current activity profile.
    • Improved LiveTrack reliability and added better user feedback to convey the LiveTrack status.
    • Improved overall device stability.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.50:

• We have made changes to prioritize ANT+ connections in the sensor search UI and highly encourage anyone having sensor or phone connectivity issues to remove and reconnect all of their sensors.

We recommend using the ANT+ connection on a sensor with your Garmin devices. There are no customer facing benefits to using the BLE connection unless that is the only option for the sensor to be used and there are often additional features to be gained by using ANT+ with a Garmin device. We see the main customer benefit of a BLE connection on a sensor to be for usage with indoor training apps running on smartphones, tablets, or home desktops at this time.
    • Fixed a connectivity issue that could cause ANT+ or BLE sensors to lose connection and never reconnect.
    • Fixed an issue with Bluetooth communication that was impacting phone connectivity and device power down stability.
    • Fixed a shutdown that could occur when calculating a route.

• I'm having the same issues that's totally irritating. The only change is the power. I'm using assioma power.