This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HOW TO: Make course line easier to see

For some reason Garmin use a thin dark purple line for guidance if you're following a course. This annoys me (not least because if you navigate to a waypoint you get a nice chunky magenta line), so I've tweaked the map theme file to fix it. This is how it looks on my Edge 530 when navigating a route:

If I get around to it I'll make a tool that lets you pick your own colours and generates a theme file for you.

You need to edit one of the MapTheme files (/Garmin/MapThemes/Classic.kmtf) and add the following lines to the <stylelist> XML category:

<style field="MPM_ACTV_CRS_CLR">
			<color>
				<primary day="#ffff00ff" night="#ffff00ff"/>
				<secondary day="#ffff00ff" night="#ffff00ff"/>
			</color>
		</style>

• Wow! This is great!!! Thanks a lot!
    I managed to change the route to Lime green #FFADFF2F

Only my line has black borders and your screenshot shows a solid purple line. 
    Can you tell me how I can change the colour of the border as well?  

• Wow! This is great!!! Thanks a lot!
    I managed to change the route to Lime green #FFADFF2F

Only my line has black borders and your screenshot shows a solid purple line. 
    Can you tell me how I can change the colour of the border as well?  

• Can you tell me how I can change the colour of the border as well?

<color>
                    <primary day="#ffff00ff" night="#ffff00ff"/>
                    <secondary day="#ffc800c8" night="#ffc800c8"/>
                </color>
            </style>

The "primary" attribute is the "route" color and the "secondary": attribute is the "border" color. I found best results is if you make the boarder a slightly darker shade of the route color as this delineates curves in the road better (look at the U-Turn under the "Lo" in Longny) although best visibility is where the colors are the same?

Route/Boarder Colors as above            Route/Boarder Colors both "#ffff00ff"

• so i tried and couldn't get anything to work like u said - used notepad copied to a new file and pasted the above at the end.....i'm probably not doing it right. I can't see any difference ? Can you please provide an idiot's guide (becasue that's what i am). 

I want the lime green color so bad !!!! - in the classic mode i'm getting dark brown for my main roads and the dark magenta for the route - so difficult to differentiate - i'll say impossible when riding.

• and pasted the above at the end...

"at the end" would likely not work as it would not be correct XML, I will try to get time to write some instructions, (and I want to go for a long ride), Garmin not helping as it won't let me attach a file just now.

might be able to provide you with the compete file for green

PS your file could look like this, copy, save (new name), edit the hex color codes, put it in the MAPThemes and select

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <garmin_map_theme>
        <metadata>
            <title>CLASSIC PINK RTE</title>
            <description>Classic with PINK Route Line and HC Blue Cursor </description>
            <category>0</category>
        </metadata>
        <stylelist>
                <color>
                    <primary day="#ffff00ff"
                             night="#ffff00ff"/>
                    <secondary day="#ffff00ff"
                               night="#ffff00ff"/>
                </color>
            </style>
        </stylelist>
    </garmin_map_theme>

• Firstly, placing the additional style field at the end of the file won’t work. It needs to be in between the <stylelist> and </stylelist> markers, in the same manner as other style fields.

Secondly, it appears that Classic.kmtf is a protected system file and gets recreated on startup, so any changes need to be saved with a new filename such as Classic2.kmtf or whatever. Then select that map theme in your activity profile.

Notepad isn’t the best tool for the job. Notepad++, with the XML Tools plugin and pretty print enabled is a lot better.

• It didn't work for me - used Notepad++, got the XML TOols plugin - copied and pasted the lines,  - modified the HTML color codes - and still get the magenta route color when i load the route. i'm probably missing something ?

• I did have it working with custom colours, but it seems to have reverted back to the standard ones, so I'm back to square 1 too

•  As per my post 6 days ago "..the standard Theme files were recreated at each device startup so if you wanted to change any colours you had to copy an existing one, edit it , save with a new name and then "select" it in the Themes option...", so you are correct that you have to copy the Theme you want and save it with a new name, remembering that you have to select the new Theme in MENU>Setting>Activity Profile>[Profile Name[>Navigation>Map>Map Theme Remembering the changes are Profile related

If you had it working and it reverted what did you change? I have had my custom colors working for days now over many power cycles.

@Big Lampar The full file version I poster 4 posts above is cut down from my Classic Version file with just the Route Color change to minimise confusion , did you copy just that, complete (all 18 lines) and save it with new name and then select it as the theme? If you get that working then you can do more complex changes etc. Can you see your new file in the Garmin\Map Theme directory? Can you see it as the selected one in MENU>Setting>Activity Profile>[Profile Name[>Navigation>Map>Map Theme  and not the standard Classic one or another?

• I tried tweaking the colours in my modified file copy, which probably caused it. I've just done similar edits to the High Contrast theme, which already has the MPM_ACTV_CRS_CLR style field and it now works again.