This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• I was having the problem on 7.x firmware. Still having the problem. Nothing has changed.

• I too had power dropouts from my Edge 530 (9.1) + Favero assioma. I would like to ask if the Edge 530 distinguishes between outages and zero data, and then if it uses the accumulated power data to backfill the data outages, following the raccomendation of the ANT+ specification. If not, this could explain why so many users, included me, see power dropouts.

• I have horrible power and cadence dropouts with my new Edge 530. Difference between 530 and same activity recorded on 520 or 945 devices is from 5 to 30% for average power and normalized power.

Comparing data written by 530 and 520/945 there are missing power/cadenca data in fit file from 530 for 300-360 seconds on hour ride training!

I have tried different potenital resolutions: 3 different powermeters tested, new bateries, ANT+/BLE connection, doing factory resets but all the time the same. For the moment my new 530 is useless for my trainings. I am waiting for customer service feedback on that...

• Customer service feedback will be 'enable diagnostics, send us the files via email' which will largely be ignored and meanwhile you (and I) will wait for the next firmware version which will fix it for a little while before it starts happening again. I've also considered the switch (plenty of references in these forums) and whilst 9.10 solved my problems for more than a few weeks I am back now also considering my choices. Wahoo isnt perfect either, but I fear that Garmin arent progressing what is now a well documented and pervasive issue.

• I've switched to a Wahoo Bolt v2. Like you say it isn't perfect, but i do really like it. The screen clarity and mount are highlights, plus the ease of use which they are known for. I can't see me switching back. In fact i'll probably get the next version of the Roam whenever that comes out. However, if the 530 worked as it should i wouldn't have considered the switch.

Still annoyed for everyone else that the bug isn't fixed.

MB

• I received an e-mail from technical support that problem is known and they work on resolution however timeframe when it would be solved can't be provided.

So question from my side: is this power (or different sensor) dropouts problem common among entire Edge 530 devices population or some production batches are affected or this problem is totaly random?

Looking into strava I can't imagine that it's common, otherwise there would be not so many riders (also pros) doing training with 530 and any power meter. Do they don't care? I don't think so.

From other hand, if problem occures randomly or there is any issue with production batch, Garmin should replace device to properly working one instead of replying that problem is known but fix date is big question mark and till then device you bought is cranky.

• You are on page 13 of this thread extending back 7 months. You will find similar issues for the 830 and 1030 plus. All relate back to software version 8.0 and forward from there. One would hope that it will be resolved before the series is discontinued.

• TBF i my dropouts were HR (very frequent) and speed sensor (occasional). It would be rare for me to have PM dropouts. So, it just depends, but on who knows what !?

• Do you guys get these problems inside or outside or both at the same frequency?

I've only experienced this indoors and the chief troublemaker was the 2.4ghz radio on my MacBook Pro.

I occasionally get a power meter or varia radar dropout while riding outside. I often get these in the exact same spot on the same ride so it must be some sort of interference.

I've been thinking of trying to turn off wifi on my phone. Maybe my phone is trying to connect to wifi at some house while I'm riding by.

• I mainly ride my bike outside and it was out on the roads i noticed the dropouts.

MB