This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• I was given edge 530 as a gift recently. Unfortunately sensors keep dropping very badly. I'm trying to do workouts on smart trainer.
    Power drops to zero almost every minute (workout in ERG mode).

Tried to downgrade to 7.1 (from 9.1) but issue seems same. 

I'm so frustrated, probably will switch to Wahoo Element Bolt.

Garmin do something FFS.

• Under settings -> connected features, try turning off the connection to your phone. I only get these sensor drops indoors and when my iphone is connected to the 530. Outdoors, I have no problems.

• Thanks for suggestion.

I've tried following:

- move my home wifi to channel 1
    - Disable Edge 530 Blootooth connection & Wifi connection

Drops are still there, in the current form it's unusable for me. I've been using my PC to control Wahoo kickr (Even further distance) for 2 months without any issues.

Switched to Garmin 530 and has these constants power drops. See yourself, did FTP hold test yesterday and it shows AVG as 187w while reality is that AVG should be like 230w for that session. Totally unusable.

• I figured out something new. The chief culprit for my dropouts seems to be the 2.4ghz 802.11 radio on my MacBook pro. I changed my MacBook to connect to the 5ghz channel on my router and I hardly get a dropout. If I turn off wifi I'm sure to get zero dropouts.

I only get this indoors with my Kickr connecting to my phone and the Garmin via bluetooth. I also have a ant+ chest strap and power meter connected to the Garmin.

My conclusion is to look for 2.4ghz sources of interference. It could even be a neighbor if you lived in a small apartment. At minimum, turn off all wifi and bluetooth on other devices (not just the Garmin) and see if that makes a difference.

• You are right! On my way home, from work, i switched the wifi off (Iphone12max). No sensor had lost his connection. Maybe we have found a solution, let‘s see. Metal 

• That may be a workaround but the problem did not exist before the 8.0 update. A proper "solution" would be a code fix that allows wifi to co-exist with other radio protocols as before. Might be a good clue for the engineers to look at.

• the problem exists with 9.10 firmware.

this is my latest firmware  and i have various dropouts with my sram's red etap 11s levers,which are finding/loosing the connection of the gears all the time.batteries are strong but the signal is going and coming about four times per minute.

• I have experienced persistent and periodic drops from power pedals and cadence during indoor workouts, even turining off main power in my house and any battery powered wireless sources, including my iPhone. I also checked that neightbors were using low 2.4 channel number at very low rf power. So I think that the problem resides somewhere else (sensor mutual interference?). During the drops, my 530 was connected to polar HR, duotrap S, Assioma and Elite Direto trainer, using ANT+ for all of them.

• yesterday, i downgraded the software to 7.10 and the problems remain the same.

maybe the power pedals (Assioma) make conflict.

anyway the Garmin software/firmware sucks.

• I bought the Garmin recently (coming from Polar M460). In the first month of use in indoor and outdoor workouts, I had no problem with dropouts. It has only been happening for a few days. And I haven't done any firmware updates in this period (except the first update to 9.1).