This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• I'm still having dropouts.

I have contacted Garmin 2 months ago.

I wrote back yesterday and they stil have no fix.

VERY disappointed!!!

Considiring swtiching to Wahoo.

• I have Edge 530 (fw 9.1) and have constant dropouts with Varia RTL515 radar. Other sensors (speed, hr, favero power meter) work fine. Usually the first 15 minutes of the ride the connection is somehow stable but the longer the ride the more dropouts I get. I think I get "radar disconnected" message up to 50 times per hour... I also get ocassional phone disconection but other sensors work fine. I got a replacement Varia but still the same issue. I cannot believe Garmin isn't able to fix this for  9 months. Just unbeliveable...

• I tried factory reset, firmware 7.1, removing all other sensors and phone, upgrading back to 9.1. Nothing helps. Still get constant disconnections.

• Depressing to search on this issue and find this thread has been going for over 9 months and no apparent solution. Is it worth trying reverting to 7.1 or not?

• Going back to 7.1 eliminated dropouts for me but sensor configs can vary a lot.

• Is there any consistency for sensor dropouts when using auto-pause vs. not?  Even my buddies Wahoo Bolt had issues until he turned auto-pause off.  It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation to auto-pause.  I very much want to upgrade to a 530, but I can't justify it with this issue remaining.  But... I don't use auto-pause, so if that were the cause it would make it a non-issue for me. 

• I went back to 7.1 when 8.1 didn't resolve the Bluetooth and sensor problems. Works well for me. Never a drop. Radar, headlight, power pedals, heart rate, multiple speed and cadence and Wahoo Kicker. Phone paired, wifi. All just work. I'll not try any new software until there are a flood of reports that Garmin has dealt with this. 

• FW7.1 didn't solve losing connection with Varia in my case. My friend has the same combination (530-varia) and everything works fine in his case so I suspect there's a hardware issue with my unit. It goes to Garmin service this week. 

• I don't know of any correlation between the dropouts and using the auto-pause function. I've been using auto-pause consistently before and after seeing this problem. When I started this thread almost 9 months ago, I had no idea that it would be such a long drawn out issue for so many. In my case the issue seemed to be battery related. I've posted this before, but the eTap dropouts were solved after I recharged the batteries (as well as removing and rediscovering the sensor/device). Another instance with a speed or cadence sensor happened both on the 530 and thru Trainerroad (sensor dropout on the 530 and at the same time a workout pause in TR). Once I changed the CR2032 battery, the issue was resolved in both. This however hasn't been the case for many others, so it probably has to do with a hardware/firmware interaction and some units are more sensitive to it than others.

• I need to report that my frustration with using Egde530 for training and related powermeters dropouts (same issue for all 3 different devices/bikes) was reduced somehow after downgrading to 7.1 firmware.

I did a 1h20m ride and finally power values are exactly the same like these recorded on FR945 (never had any drops on this device).