This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation chart and grade display completely wrong on 530 with v 3.50.0.0

My 530 was displaying grade during the ride accurately and had accurate elevation charts in Garmin connect after the ride.  That all changed last week.  The grade seems totally random. For example, today it indicated -7% during a steep climb.

In addition, the elevation chart displayed after a ride is completely wrong.

This is what it showed on my ride today before I applied elevation correction.

Here's the same ride after elevation correction was applied.

As you can see, they are completely different.

I don't know if this issue started when 3.50 was applied.  Anyone else having this problem?  

• I have opened the port cover, but I see nothing that would indicate a barometer sensor. Are they not usually a kind of opening somewhere? Thats why I thought the two holes on the back are the ones.

• Same here with me. More confusing: Start and end point are the same but the difference in altitude is appr. 100 meters. And that for every ride since I`m using the edge. Had another one before from a diffrent company (wahoooooo) there was everything fine

• I'm not quite sure how it is done, but I have been reliably informed by Garmin that it was moved to this location to prevent the port from getting block by rain, which some of the other units can suffer from.

• On 3.55, I am not seeing this issue.  I can't say if it was there for 3.50 for me.

In response to Radek, you are correct that it doesn't generally make sense to use corrected elevation on these devices, but it can help show, in cases like this, that the recorded elevation from BP has real issues.  I think that's all the original poster was doing with showing the corrected elevation graph.

• So I think I might have worked out what led to this behaviour on my unit.

Some facts up front: Running the 3.55 software with the new 2.42 GPS software Beta 

The idea someone mentioned that it might be a hardware issue (faulty or wet sensor) was getting more and more plausible as no software tweaking or setting seemed to remedy the issue. Couple that with the clue from  that the barometer is inside the USB port cover and not on the back, I have decided yesterday to open up the USB port sealing and leave it like that when not in use. 

Since then I did two rides each with improving accuracy over the next one. 

My theory:

It seems that when my unit got wet, somehow the sensor also got some moisture and it was getting mixed readings because of the presence of it. As the cover is meant to be environmentally sealing off the USB port, it did not allow the moisutre to evaporate from inside, thus leaving the barometer perpetually confused. Why it did allow moisutre to get inside is a different question...

I will continue to leave it open and keep you posted if the issue has been solved by letting it dry out.

• I made my own (non) scientific test yesterday. I`ve startetd an activity and laid the edge outside on a table for 15 min. On that time I´ve gained more than 100m altitude beginning from 244 and climbed to 352m. than I`ve stopped. Probably it would have jumped to mt everest if I would let it go overnight. My altitude is 313m (google maps and apple watch - baro). Really weired. I will try the beta this evening with the same test. Otherwise will send the edge back and test a new one

• That is exactly how my edge behaved, see my first post in this topic.

Try leaving it with the port open to dry it out. 

• Leaving the port open for a few days solved my problem. In the last few days my elevation/grade values are on par with those of my Fenix 5 and the barometer behaves normally

• Thanks a lot PK, that makes sense. I`m using my Edge for indoortraining as well and after a hard workout there are really wet conditions even inside:-D Yesterday it worked fine. It was dry and worked well. Hope for the 3.55 update to get the rest solved.

• Did not work. Same issue. Barometric sensor reporting significant lower values.