Who already has the E1050 and what are the impressions?

Users of the new E1050, share your impressions - is the new Edge a big qualitative leap compared to the previous E1040 model and is it worth investing a few hundred on new hardware after changes to the firmware (23/09Beta) and adding a few functionalities?

• Users of the new E1050, share your impressions - is the new Edge a big qualitative leap compared to the previous E1040 model and is it worth investing a few hundred on new hardware after changes to the firmware (23/09Beta) and adding a few functionalities?

I got my 1050 yesterday and I was initially pretty excited. The display is crisp and clear. But eventually I was rather disappointed regarding the difference between the 1050 and my 1040.

• I use Di2 and really love the graphical large data field that allows me to see which gear I'm in at a glance. This is much harder to read on the 1050 because they - for some reason - did not use the available width of the field. Hence, I cannot see at a glance if I am on cog 1 or 2.
    • No sound when I reach cog 1 or 12 like on the 1040.
    • Maybe because I was used to mute the entire unit (1040) but Varia 515 alarm and Shimano Di2 sounds were still audible. Now I need to unmute the 1050 to hear the Varia alarm. As the alarm is rather quiet, I had to bring the volume to max. But now I get annoying beeps from navigation, but not from my Di2.
    • Yes, the display is extremely difficult to read in different light situations. At one point I only saw clouds on the screen. You can, of course, change the angle. But that wasn't necessary on the 1040.
    • The new device is too bulky and heavy. I just cannot understand why they made this thing even bigger than the 1040 or did not use the space for a larger display. 
    • It is much faster than 1040 that is a bit sluggish from time to time. But not to an extent that bothers me. 

I have to say that it is a nice device and if I did not have a 1040 I'd buy it. However, it is not by far better than the 1040 so I actually returned it. Maybe also because the things that are much better than the 1040 (gradient is now spot on) are now available on the 1040 (tried the new beta and it's great!). I probably wait for the 1060.

• I‘ve got my 1050 today. No test ride so far. Just checked my IQ datafields on it and checked the map screen.

Have a look at the vehicle cursors!
    No more Mapthemes folder anymore!

(photos are taken simply with an iPhone
    Edge 1040 with 100% backlight, 1050 with 50%
    Map: openMTBmap)

• The arrow takes into account the direction you're traveling in relation to the wind.

From the Wind Field app manual: 

Understanding the Arrow

The Wind Arrow will point in the direction that the wind is blowing towards.   So if the wind is out of the North, the arrow will point to the South.  

The arrow also takes into account the direction that you are traveling.  So if you are riding East with wind out of the North, the arrow will point to your right.

• Vehicle cursors? I don’t know what I’m looking at. Good or bad?

• Thank you! This the premium or free subscription?

• I’m on the Pro subscription ($12 a year)

• Vehicle cursors? I don’t know what I’m looking at.

Vehicle cursor means the arrows showing your position and the position of VP.
    Garmin has changed the size, but has taken the possibility to change color.

• Thanks! Do you like it? Great brightness comparison 

• 1050 has 1.7x resolution - so, fonts are finally the same size but more clear. If you look the map on 1050, you can see all BMP styles are shrinked to 1/1.7 - but still very clear. Will ride tomorrow and see…

One thing I can say: congratulations to Garmin for the setup routine for the new device! You chose your language and after that a QR code appears on the screen. Take your phone and take up the picture - and then - drumroll - you only have to confirm one step by another. Setup is done in 5 minutes - including profiles and sensors. Only IQ datafields have to be downloaded anew.

• No more Mapthemes folder anymore!

Autsch, is it the end of  creating/finetuning .kmtf files to go for better visibility and/or hiding VP arrow???