This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Strava (not Garmin after all) broke climbpro

I've seen a few posts on this and made some myself, but I now have conclusive evidence that Garmin have broken climbpro in the transfer of routes from Strava (and maybe other platforms) to Garmin Connect.

The problem is that Garmin recalculates the elevation data, but makes a mess of it. The image below is the elevation of the same route (via GPSVisualizer), one trace is  from Strava, and one is from Garmin Connect after transferring it through the API (favourite the route in Strava and it comes through automatically).

Heres the Garmin vs Strava elevation at the start of the route

and here it is at the end

Heres the full trace, at the start of the elevation profile its fine, at the end its way out.

• Creating routes in GC is fine, and you get some additional features like waypoints. 
    Assume creating a route from an activity in GC would be fine (not tested)
    Creating a route from scratch in Strava and syncing to GC seems fine. 
    creating a route in Strava from an activity, or from an imported GPX file and syncing to GC introduces the offset. If you synced the route before the partial fix (about a week ago) then the offset can be as much as 1km, after the fix it’s about 200m on a 180k route. Expect this could vary a bit depending on the number of data points and distance between them  

if you transferred before the partial fix then unstarring and starring the route in Strava will resync and reduce the error in GC

if you export the GPX from Strava and import manually to GC you get some extra elevation smoothing but not as far as I can tell, the offset 

if you export the GPX from Strava and transfer it to your device by copying it to the new files folder (old school) then should be no errors. Always eject the device before unplugging to avoid file system corruption and might as well update your maps at the same time if they aren’t up to date  

many thanks to aweatherall for info related to this issue. 

• I got an update today from Garmin saying Strava had fixed it so I double checked, but its not changed since my last analysis, i.e. its better but not fully resolved.

Have sent all the info to garmin support.

• Got through to the engineers at Strava and they’re working on a proper fix. Hopefully won’t be long. 

• Has this problem been really solved? I created a route in garmin connect yesterday and used it this morning. Climb information was completely useless, all climbs were noticeably offset.

• I've also noticed that routes created in garmin connect are useless with huge offsets and also some climbs missed. I switched to the same route created in Komoot and everything was fine

• Hi, are we sure it is a Strava issue? I created a route in Gamin Connect last Saturday and Climbpro was completely offset, Strava was not involved at all.

• Garmin and Strava confirmed it was a Strava issue related to imported routes in Strava, and also Strava confirmed a couple of days ago they were still working on it. Doesn't mean there isn't another issue though. I've seen example of weird elevation data from lots of different map sources, but never really noticed issues with native Garmin data. Do you have an example how to recreate the issue you've been seeing in Garmin Connect?

• Do you have an example of a route showing the issue?

• Thanks, this is the route I was referring to: connect.garmin.com/.../173105918

• Can't really workout the where the error is, what were you seeing that was incorrect?