This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 1030 screen color weak or not clear hard to see

Hi,

I just got my new 1030 Plus few weeks ago and from beginning it looks to me the colors are weak and black is not black on the screen of the 1030 PLus.

I compered it to the Edge Explore and those are much clearer. I tried all kind of settings like adjust theme and brightness but the colors stay weak which means details are hard to see.

Is this how the screen should look like or is the screen not working correct?

See photos with the differences of 1030PLus and Explore. I may assume an 1030 Plus should have at least equal view quality?

Top = 1030 bottom = Explore

• Unfortunately - that's normal...

But the colors using the device outdoor are excellent!

Here's a posting after release of Edge 1030:
    (Screens of normal Edge 1030 and Edge 1030 PLUS are the same)

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030/209737/screen-colors-washed-out

• And another thing…

With firmware 5.0 Garmin introduced „Mapthemes“.

Please check following setting:

-Navigation
    -Mapthemes (first line of Navigation submenu): set it to „classic“!

• Hi, But the color in or outdoro stay the same so washed out...?

• Hi,

Just tested and indeed classic view gives better colors!
    But still less than a lower ranged device like the Explore.

But you know this is normal?

kr. ***

• Go out in bright light and you will see: the colors are not washed out but excellent!

Indoors: very poor...

(have you read my linked post above?)

• Hi,

Yes I did. And I had same experience with the washed out colors. I'll try later today in the sun to make trip with the classic setting and lets see!

many as this might save a request for warranty and having no navi for 2 weeks Slight smile

kr. ***

• I tried tonigth but still doubts over the screen it still looks not that good the colors are "low" and not sparkling.

I made some pictres and funny thing is pictures look much better than real screen ?

Picture taken around 45 minutes before sun down with cloudy sky

• You need to take into consideration that Garmin made the screen the way it is because the demand for longer run times required a screen that uses less power. No other bike computer comes close to the battery life of the Garmin.

I have a 1030 and when I got it, I did expect a brighter screen. But, in the years I have owned it I have not experienced any problem reading the screen. It's been a excellent bike computer.

• Mind 1030 plus is the same, i have to use daytime theme all the time.

One thing is correct, it's so good during daytime outdoor environment. But at night, night theme is blind, day theme can only just let me see.

I never think 1030 series should be an endourance equipment, most people want a bigger computer really means they will be enjoy the bigger and better screen.

So why they design it to "maximize" battery life to sacrifice display quality? even i do a 100k ride and back home with 80% plus battery., how does that maximize battery life make sence?

I've been have more then 20 Garmin watches and edges, this is the one i really regret. It explains that most of 1030 users have another edge 130 for more daily use such as commute, it's not just they need a small one, they need visuability.

I've been realized i never use 1030 plus for my commute now. I used to be never use my garmin watch during my commute, I use to be use bike computer all the time while riding. I use my fenix 6X for commute now in spite of i really don't want to put on a watch while riding.

It's still a great computer, only i now adapted to use it before twilight.

• I agree my 1030 plus has really washed out colors - route colors do not stand out. Does anyone know a way to make the colors more vibrant?  - is there a firmware "screen calibration" setting somewhere where I can increase the colors ?