The Dilemma of Garmin's Luxury Smartwatches: Falling Behind in Tec

As a dedicated enthusiast of Garmin's smartwatch ecosystem, I find myself grappling with a perplexing observation, particularly concerning Garmin's luxury line of smartwatches, the Marq series. It appears that, despite being part of Garmin's premium offerings, the Marq line consistently lags a full generation behind in terms of hardware when compared to their Fenix or the latest Epix line of smartwatches.

One could speculate that Garmin has adopted a strategy of initially releasing cutting-edge technology in their mid to upper-range watches, allowing these advancements to eventually permeate to their luxury line. While this logic may make sense on the surface, the practical implications present a considerable challenge for consumers.

Once Garmin introduces new hardware in their primary line of watches, there is no going back. The problem lies in the significant delay between the debut of new hardware and its eventual integration into the more expensive luxury watches.

As an ardent watch lover who has embraced the 24/7 wearing practices of the Garmin ecosystem, I often find myself yearning for a more premium-looking product. The Aviator or the Garmin Athlete watches catch my eye, exuding sophistication and style. However, the hesitation to invest in these watches stems from the fact that they are seemingly outdated right from the start.

This dilemma became painfully evident in my experience in 2021 when I contemplated purchasing a luxury Garmin watch. I opted for the Aviator, only to return it within a few weeks. The reason was simple – the Fenix Six, available at a similar time, boasted superior hardware and more advanced capabilities. Despite the allure of luxury, the practical desire for a future-proof(ish) device prevailed.

The irony lies in the expectation that a premium luxury watch should be inherently leading with hardware. Unfortunately, Garmin's release strategy seems to undermine this expectation, leaving consumers like me feeling frustrated and torn between the desire for opulence and the practical need for the latest technology.

In the ever-evolving landscape of smartwatches, Garmin may need to reconsider its release strategy to ensure that its luxury offerings align more closely with the cutting-edge technology showcased in its other product lines. Until then, enthusiasts like me will continue to navigate the delicate balance between style and substance, hoping that the gap between technology releases narrows to provide a more seamless and satisfying experience for luxury smartwatch enthusiasts.

Travis

• I had the same concerns as you when I was contemplating the purchase of my Marq Gen2 Aviator. I reconciled the situation by considering the Marq to be a longer term purchase and I would continue to stick to the Fenix line to keep up with advances in tech. The Fenix remains my primary wearable and the Marq satisfies my desire for an occasional more dressy watch which still gives 24/7 health stat coverage.

• My thoughts exactly. According to me, the Marq series should always include the newest and first tier hardware at least at release (I would even dare to say, include additional functions but that is not even a requirement for me). The Gen 2 series (titanium) however included the latest tech at release date (= Epix Gen 2). 

Garmin released the Carbon series with dated tech. At that moment, the Fenix 7 Pro/Epix Gen 2 Pro series were already released so there was no reason to exclude the new tech in the special Marq Carbon series.    

• Garmin released the Carbon series with dated tech. At that moment, the Fenix 7 Pro/Epix Gen 2 Pro series were already released so there was no reason to exclude the new tech in the special Marq Carbon series.

Like , I have a epix Pro 51 for daily wear/activity tracking and a Carbon as a dressier option.  Turns out that hardware gap between the two devices isn't as large as folks seem to be concerned about.  It really comes down to three features; ECG, skin surface temperature (sleeping), and flashlight.  Frankly, the ECG and skin temp is a don't care unless there is a physical reason one would "need" those features.  Flashlight, however, is certainly missed when I'm wearing the MARQ.  But, I'm sure the flashlight would interfere with the beauty of the Carbon.  The remaining SW features are exactly the same between the two watches. 

I understand that when one plunks down $3000 for a watch, you instinctively think you should be getting everything Gamin has to offer.  But if you step back and think about it, why are we spending $3000 on a watch that is functionally the same as an epix (2) 47mm currently on sale for $600.  Seems like pure lunacy.  We do it because we want something a bit different than the mass produced sibling.  If my epix was taken away today, I'd be more than happy to "limp" along with the Carbon.

• Some good points in there Dan.  Thanks for your perspective! 

• If nothing else, it's an interesting topic and a great distraction from actual work. Blush

• Great points. I agree that the MARQ series falls behind compared to the new Epix lineup. But I don't think that's too problematic, as the few features that the watch are not that big of a deal as of now. 

What's far more problematic though is, if you compare the MARQ  or Epix to other smartwatches, the lack of features is rather shocking. No LTE, no voice calls on the go (would be a massive securuty feature in an emergency situation), no voice control, and most importantly: An awful bluetooth quality due to the lack of BT codecs. 

I understand that this is a premium toolwatch, but just because it sits in a titanium case doesn't excuse the lack of important features. I also wouldn't segregate between "sports" watches and "smart" watches, that's another cheap excuse to not go with the time. But, all in all the MARQ 2 is a phenomenal device, which hopefully gets even more improved in the future.

• For a while I thought that the original Marq was going to be a one-off for this very reason, and was (pleasantly) surprised when the Marq 2 showed up. I can see that Garmin took a bit of a gamble with the original release (presumably after doing their homework) as to whether people would pay a premium price for a premium version of the current Fenix. I can see that there would have been reasonable grounds to think they would. However, did they also go forward on the presumption that people would continue to buy the Marq when its functionality was superseded by the Fenix line, i.e. it became a premium version of a legacy watch. I would have expected the make-or-break period for the line would have been that period whilst it was still current, with the expectation that sales would rapidly drop off after that. Obviously we don't have any sales figures for the Marq, but clearly it at least met Garmin's sales predictions as here we are on Gen 2. Maybe the launch of the carbon version was an attempt to give sales a shot in the arm this time round once the Gen 2's hardware dropped behind the Fenix line. I'm just not sure how they'll maintain demand if it's going to be another 3 year cycle, but maybe they plan on hitting sales goals in the much shorter term, with units sold beyond that time a bonus.

• For a while I thought that the original Marq was going to be a one-off for this very reason

Everyone seems to have forgotten about the Garmin Chronos. The 1st-gen Marq wasn't Garmin's first attempt at a luxury watch.

• You know, I had to look that up.  When I did, I really like it!  When you look at this, I almost feel as if this should be what the current gen Fenix  / Epix should resemble.   It's the dull, lack luster bezel of the current offerings that just kill it for me.  I know it's always been that way on this line from Garmin, but man something between the Marq and the flat plain looking Epix.. would be great.  Maybe leave the body shell as it is, and just add in more bezel options.

• I have the Marq Athlete (Gen2) and it’s just a great looking watch!

And that’s why I got it. And sure, I would have liked to have the technology of tomorrow in it as well but that’s not why I got it. I got it simply because it is a great looking and close to perfect (tech wise) watch.

My guess is I will buy a replacement somewhere in 2025 that has tech of 2024 as long as it looks great Slight smile