This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation consistently inaccurate (reading too low)

I'm having issues with the Instinct reading lower elevation than it should, which results in considerably lower elevation gains than what you should be seeing. One might be tempted to blame this on sweat, poor weather conditions and what not, but that's actually not the case. I'm noticing this on a very short ride (roughly 11km). Start and finish elevation are typically within 5m of each other (which is IMHO fairly accurate). I've had three different devices prior to this one (cycling computers)

After looking more closely at the graphs, I've noticed that the Instinct just plain out ignores certain elevation gains, and instead chooses to think I'm riding a flat profile. It does so very consistently and given that the starting and ending point read the same elevation, I'm inclined to believe this is a sofware issue. Naturally, the watch mode is set to altimeter. 

So my question is whether this is a known issue and whether I can expect a fix. Difference of 40m in 11km is pretty big in my opinion. 

• Hi all,
    I have done simple tests with the Instinct and the Edge 500 to show you where the issue is with the total ascent and the elevation gain.
    The tests were done in the elevator and I've made videos to prove that there are issues with the Instinct.
    You can find the videos in my dropbox.
    1st video (teste 1.mp4): Both were with the GPS turned off and the display showing the elevation, you can see that the altitude (elevation) increased in the both while the elevator moved up. Therefore, the sensor and the reading of the elevation seem to be fine.
    2nd video (teste 2.mp4): Both were with the GPS turned on, the display showing the total ascent and with the activity started, you can see that only the Edge 500 showed the elevation gain (total ascent) while the Instinct kept with 0m.
    3rd video (teste 3.mp4): Both were with the GPS turned on, the display showing the elevation and the total ascent, and with the activity started, you can see that the altitude (elevation) increased in the both but only the Edge 500 showed the elevation gain (total ascent) while the Instinct kept with 0m.
    Therefore my conclusion is that the problem is related to the activity program where it is not recording the total ascent correctly resulting in incorrect elevation gain values once the sensor and the reading of elevation seem to be fine.
    It makes sense for me, what do you all think?
  • Seems like a good test and it's pretty much what I was seeing on my watch. The watch was ignoring elevation gain or loss in specific locations, so two paths to the same summit would consistently register different values. It never occurred to me that I might try testing it with GPS turned off. 

• Pretty impressive if what you are showing is that a Garmin Edge can receive a reliable GPS signal in a lift!

• The devices with barometric sensor use it to ready the elevation and it doesn't matter if the GPS is on or off.

My test is to show that the barometric sensor and the reading in the Instinct are working and the problem seems to be in the activity program that is not reading/recording/updating/whatever the total ascent/descent.

• Hi,

Has someone tried 6.4 Beta release effects (fix elevation issues or not)?

Thanks

• As everyone knows heat affects pressure.On hot days pressure goes down gradually so I think this problem is caused because of your body temperature. While you are doing sport your body temperature rises. Watch gets hot and sensor in the hole reads pressure less than it should be! Than watch computer calculates elevation wrong. İs it possible?

• I tested my instinc in a glider. İt shows correct elevation results. And most of gliders dosnt have a cabin pressure system.

• Problem is not fixed, I have got always problem with barometer, altimetrr and thermometer. Watch is for me useless. Everything were calibrated and diagram is absolutely uncorrect. I could have bought any other cheaper Watchers without Barometer, altimeter and thermometer  and it would have been the same!  I have paid over 200 € and so much problem? and it is not possible to get back my money, is not it?  

• Look at this altitute,point of the start and stop should be at the same point and flow is not real