This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The Tide Widget Petition

Tides are available on old Casio Protrek/pathfinder/g-shocks for decades, why not on the high tech Instinct ?

If you think a true Outdoors Smartwatch deserves a way to follow tides.
If you surf with your Instinct
If you fish with your Instinct
If you use the Boat activity and knows where the MOB is hidden

Answer that thread to show to Garmin: we would love a tide widget and we say "please" ! :-)

Top Replies

All Replies

• Let us purchase it or something for instinct solar that doesn't have it.  I want it.

I you want it, replace your Instinct Solar for Instinct Solar Surf, it has the tides. Where is the problem?

• should not have to replace hardware for software.....

• should not have to replace hardware for software....

There is no software for the ordinary Instinct with the Tides. The feature is only available in the firmware for Instinct Tide, and for Instinct Solar Surf. The firmware is not compatible with the ordinary Instinct, and no add-on widgets can be installed on Instinct, hence changing the hardware is the only option you have, if you really want the Tides.

• i know what you are saying, but there should be no reason they can't add it.

• i know what you are saying, but there should be no reason they can't add it.

Why it is so difficult to understand that they won't add Tides to the ordinary Instinct, when they sell a more expensive model with that feature? You cannot pay extra to get it (w/o changing the hardware), because there is no way to install pay-for add-ons. As I wrote, if you want the Tides, you chose the wrong device, and should change it for one offering the feature. Apparently you do not need the Tides enough, if replacing the watch is unacceptable.

• you obviously know nothing about software ....

tides is software, if device has room in memory, it can be added. if it does not have room in memory, then it cannot be. Garmin should answer this. not you.

• Seriously. Please Garmin show us the different hardware that won’t allow us to have this widget? You guys push updates all the time. I’m sure it could be done. Use the phone for connection on data through a web page idk. Something. I love this watch but don’t wanna buy a new one 6 months later for tides. 

• I really dont think it is that tricky.  we dont need something that calculates.  Just have a tide table synchronize from your phone to your watch.  All I care about is the high/low tides for today and their height.  That can just be sync'd as a table and displayed.  no calculation needed on the watch.

• you obviously know nothing about software ....

tides is software, if device has room in memory, it can be added. if it does not have room in memory, then it cannot be. Garmin should answer this. not you.

(Hint: He's from Garmin) did answer this as follows:

The Tide widget will only be in the Instinct Solar Surf edition of the watch. APPS cannot be added to an Instinct since they are not compatible with Connect IQ.

A Fenix 5 or Fenix 6 series watch can be bought instead and there are various tide widget APPS that can  be added to the watch through their Connect IQ store compatibility.

In my mind, that settles this issue - if one wants the Tides function on their Instinct, buy a Surf edition watch; it's not going to be available on the other Instinct editions.

End of story.

HTH

• The standard Instinct on Garmin's website sells for $299.  The newer version with Tides sells for $449 and is currently on sale for $349.  You have all these people who keep saying it could be added to the Instinct through an update therefore there's no reason why they shouldn't have it.  To hell with those that spent more to get Tides.  This is about me, me, me!  Sad.