Instinct 3 main features ?

It is now close to two years from launching Instinct 2 series and I was wondering what would be the main feature(s) that would sell the new Instinct 3 product ? 

I'll write few of my own thoughts/wishes and would like to hear from you fine folks...

1. Even better solar performance or maybe even charging on artificial/room light (as many Casio watches do, altought they are ultra-ultra-low power devices, i.e. don't have GPS/HR, etc. etc.):

I recall Instinct 1 had redish/bronze colored solar panel whereas Instinct 2 had more gray/greenish colored panel and had been more solar efficient than Instinct 1 (which was one of its selling points).

Then, on Instinct 2X we see again this "old" redish/bronze panel altough now on larger area thus being even more solar efficient/better than those smaller watches. I know there are many other factors impacting solar/power efficiency but it could be possible Garmin left some room here by possible future use of this seemingly more efficient gray/greenish solar panel on Instinct 3X.

2. Adding on-watch routing in navigation (but not full mapping as in Fenix/Epix):

This means this time roads, pathways, tracks would be visible and on-watch routable as in Fenix, and nothing more than that. For example, very old Fenix 2 had some form of mapping/routing in low-resolution monochrome display ten (10) years ago.

3. Laser beam for measuring nearby distance:

This is a bit streched feature (and probably power mega-hog) but after introducing flashlight into the Instinct series I see this watch more of a tool now :-)

So, what are your thoughts on new Instinct 3 ? Share some of it, go wild ... :-)

• I'm lucky with mine. I have tested the HR comparing with another watch paired with a Polar H10 chest strap. I also do have a Garmin HRM Tri but the Polar one is said to have the best accuracy and is more confortable. My T-Rex 2 ultra does the job pretty good for me but to be honest, sometimes has some spikes that do not have sense. In the other side, seems more accurate than the Fenix 6X for me (perhaps because of the weight). As an ultramarathoner I don't care too much about those spikes and when I need to have serious HR metrics because of fast and short runs,  I will use the chest strap in any case.

Now I'm thinking in buying some adaptors to fit standard 22 milimeters nylon straps, so I can reduce weight and have better fit for accuracy but, as I said, it's good for me.

I also understand that the Ultra has not the same accuracy because of the more weight. In fact there are some reports and seems that the T-rex 2 is better for HR metrics

• I was speaking about my T-rex 2, not my T-Rex 2 ultra, which does not exist yet lol

• I switch between my Tactix 7 Amoled and Instinct 2x every single day and workout in both with pool swims, open water swims, runs, HIITs, strength, walks, you name it, everything works as intended with no problems. 

• What I would really like to see is a Instinct 3 Pilot's edition, aimed at the rougher side of aviation, like helicopter utility- and bush pilots.
    Like the Dezl edition for truckers, but with a limited set of features from the D2 pilot watches. 

I imagine some of the D2 features are hard to implement into Instinct hardware. A worldwide airport database for example probably doesn’t fit unless they increase the memory substantially. Others, like a baro adjustable barometric altitude indicator shouldn't be any problem, but utilize the Instincts existing hardware and sensors.

I would be very happy with only a few key features like aviation weather METAR and TAF, adjustable altitude indicator, HSI style navigation to saved POIs, density altitude calculator and a nice watch face with data fields for selected METAR data, and of course flight logging.

Many other useful features like sunrise/sunset and civil twilight, barometer, compass and GPS for navigation, puls ox and such are already present.

• Yes, that would be very nice. But this version should still be able to participate in the beta program. Not like the other Aviation watches that are not part of the beta program.

• My wish. A wake-up alarm that wakes me up when I touch my sleep-goal of 7,5 hours.

• no for maps (keep its appearance like so far) -- there are a lot of models with full maps
    • yes for the color screen (Transflective MIP) -- to improve the readability of graphs, moon phases, and other information,
    • yes for "Watch mode only" (Battery Saver) for infinite battery life,
    • yes for newer and better sensors and multiband GPS systems with SatIQ,
    • no for payment -- we all have mobile phones, so it's not necessary to have this feature in the watch, especially when using 3D secure which forces us to accept the payment on the phone anyway,
    • yes/no for Faster CPU -- I don't complain, it's fast enough,
    • Fix the washed-out screen while viewing from the down-up angle, when the backlight is on. With Instinct 2 it is white and unreadable,
  • I think multiband with SatIQ is a must on all models not just 2X . This is in my view a watch for work and exploration and to not have something other brand's cheaper models have it is a disappointment.

New HR sensor and maybe a sturdier edition with sapphire glass maybe?

I would have bought a smaller model but without multiband it is better to wait for the next version.

• blood pressure
    • sleep phase dependent alarm clock
  • Ability to install updates without installing spyware programs on spyware operating systems.